THE BEST JOB YOU’VE EVER HAD
It’s not often you get the chance to change industries by bringing truly breakthrough technology to market – technology that not only disrupts existing markets but enables vast new ones. It’s hard and challenging work, but it’s also exciting, energizing, satisfying, and rewarding!
Echodyne’s Metamaterials Electronically Scanning Array (MESA) is changing the way people think about commercial radar. Built on decades of research, Echodyne brings high-performance radar to commercial markets and applications constrained by Cost, Size, Weight or Power. Drones, autonomous cars and trucks, heavy machines, even flying cars. To operate safely, these machines need sensors that work flawlessly across all environmental conditions. Echodyne has applied the physics of metamaterials to create a new category of sensor that provides the critical high-resolution, ground-truth data that autonomous machines and vehicles need to operate safely at any time and in any weather. Bringing this technology to market requires a team that works together.
Echodyne is seeking a General Counsel to lead the company’s legal, compliance and policy functions. The General Counsel will be responsible for all legal affairs, including commercial and government contracting, regulatory compliance, corporate governance, intellectual property, equity financings, employment law, and policy engagement. We are seeking a candidate with seasoned business judgment who will build collaborative relationships across the company to ensure that our strategy and operations are informed by legal input.
Echodyne is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
- Partner closely with the executive team and employees to understand the company’s technology and business and provide practical legal advice that balances legal and business requirements
- Craft Echodyne’s legal strategy and goals
- Negotiate and document contracts with commercial customers, government customers and suppliers
- Develop and execute strategies for global regulatory compliance, including RF spectrum allocations, RF equipment certification, export control, CE marking and other product compliance
- Manage the company’s patent and trademark portfolio and negotiate licensing arrangements
- Manage all other legal matters including corporate governance, equity and debt financings, employment law, and strategic transactions
- Engage in shaping government policy and priorities in emerging technology areas such as UAS, counter UAS and autonomous vehicles
- Build a legal team around evolving business requirements
- Develop processes and policies for managing legal risk and scale them over time as the company grows
- Select and manage outside counsel as required
Required skills / experience:
- 10+ years practicing law with a combination of law firm and in-house experience
- Track record of building a legal function in a high growth technology company, with a preference for having been in a GC role at a hardware company
- Experience navigating legal requirements in a highly-regulated industry
- Deep contracting and transactional experience
- Ability to define the goals and strategies for the legal function with a high degree of autonomy
- Collaborative team player with no ego who partners with others across the company
- Strong communicator who writes and speaks persuasively and can put legal concepts in plain English
- Ability and desire to roll up one’s sleeves and do the work as well as handle big picture strategic matters
Desired skills / experience (looking for one or more as a complement to the core skills):
- Knowledge of spectrum licensing, RF equipment certification and export control
- Experience with DoD and other government contracting, corporate governance, intellectual property and employment law
- Experience leading companies through venture capital and other equity financings
- Policy advocacy work
- Public company experience
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice in Washington State
Echodyne’s technology is export controlled by the U.S. Government and we must evaluate an applicant’s eligibility to handle export-controlled information or obtain required Government authorizations. Therefore, we will ask you as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or green card holder, or have asylum/refugee status in the U.S.
What We Offer:
- Multiple medical, dental and vision plans to choose from; select the ones that are right for you.
- Company paid disability and life insurance.
- Flexible time off – Generous paid time off as long as business objectives are being met; paid office closure days and sick leave.
- Lots of healthy snack options.
- Locker rooms/showers.
- Fun company events.
- Discounts on cell phone service, computers, movie tickets, travel and more.