Senior Recruiting Operations Specialist
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Chicago, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position works with the HR team to expand Earthjustice’s talent for positions located in 14+ locations across the United States. The Senior -Recruiting Operations Specialist works under the direction of the Recruiting Director to enhance and promote Earthjustice’s efforts to augment its regular workforce in support of its teams nationwide. This position will manage and work to improve the hiring and onboarding processes for all non-employee and short-term workers.
The Senior Recruiting Operations Specialist will work independently with occasional guidance from General Counsel to determine the appropriate status of each non-employee engagement – contractor, temporary employee or termed employee. The Senior Recruiting Operations Specialist will undertake all steps necessary to engage contractors, temporary employees, short term employees, unpaid externs, non-program interns and volunteers. In addition, the Senior Recruiting Operations Specialist will prepare onboarding materials and presentations appropriate to each type of worker, then assure appropriate orientation for all these types of non-traditional workers.
The Senior Recruiting Operations Specialist may also assist with a variety of activities in support of full-time employee recruitment activities.
This position will join a recruitment team that includes the following team members: Recruiting Director, Senior Legal Recruiter, Recruiter, Recruiting Coordinator and Recruiting Assistant. They will work in partnership with our larger HR team consisting of 14 HR staff nationwide.
This position is full time and located at either our headquarters in San Francisco, CA, or one of our regional offices in Denver, CO, Seattle, WA or Los Angeles, CA. The position may be remote until office space is identified in the regional offices listed outside of SF, with the expectation to spend some time working in the office.
Recruitment/Onboarding Administration (80%)
- Support the hiring and orientation of all non-employee workers.
- Manage and continually improve processes for engaging non-employee staff.
- Manage relationships with external temporary agencies and contracts for temporary services and contract workers.
- Manage internal requests for temporary workers and job postings for interns/externs; serve as the main point of contact for temporary workers with internal stakeholders and external recruitment agencies nationwide.
- Manage questions from hiring managers on funding and complete the setup of temporary workers.
- Manage all background check processes for non-traditional workers and review background checks to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Manage internal communications between candidates, hiring managers, recruitment, General Counsel and IT.
- Develop onboarding materials and orientation instructions appropriate to each kind of worker.
- Onboard all non-employee workers.
- Update all contracts for temporary agencies and contractors into the Ironclad contract management system.
- Maintain the hiring guidelines and best practices for temporary and contract workers.
- Time allowing, provide support to the recruiting team in all of its activities to develop candidate pipelines, source roles, hire and onboard full-time permanent staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
HR General/Administrative (10%)
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations and conferences.
- Provide administrative support to the HR team as needed.
- Attend professional development conferences and events to expand recruiting and human resources knowledge.
- Participate in committees as appropriate.
- Help with recruitment projects if time permits.
Diversity Equity & Inclusion (10%)
- Partner with VP Human Resources, VP of Diversity and Inclusion, and work group members to support and advance diversity and inclusion goals and actions, and celebrate people of all backgrounds with an open and inclusive work culture.
- Model inclusive behaviors and multicultural competency in interactions with all staff.
- 4+ years’ experience in Human Resources, Operations or Program Management; or a combination of experience with a focus on recruiting, onboarding, program management and/or sourcing/advertising.
- Experience supporting and /or working with temporary workers or contractors is desired.
- Experience working with external clients and/or contracts is desired.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience creating contracts with temporary firms is preferred, or strong desire to learn.
- Program management or program support experience is preferred.
- Recruitment experience desired or strong willingness to learn.
- Previous experience working with temporary staffing agencies or contractor hiring is highly desired.
- Previous operations or onboarding experience is preferred.
- Experience developing and administering onboarding and orientation materials.
- Experience sourcing and posting jobs to various job boards and networks, or strong willingness to learn.
- Previous operations, recruiting or recruiting coordinator experience is preferred.
- Experience using Applicant Tracking Systems or HRIS systems is desired.
- Experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives desired.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Strong networking and social networking experience (e.g. Linkedin) is desired.
- Ability to work effectively with confidential information.
- Ability to learn news systems, and pivot on projects is essential.
- Project management or program management experience a plus.
- Strong detail orientation and organizational skills a must.
- Advanced skills in word processing, Power Point, Excel spreadsheet and database programs (ATS) preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work as a team and independently.
- Sense of humor.
- Ability to handle a diverse workload and multi-task as needed.
- Demonstrated an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Ability to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary for San Francisco, CA: $89,000 - $98,900
Salary for Seattle, WA or Los Angeles, CA: $84,600-$94,000
Salary for Denver, CO: $80,200- $89,100
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials online via Jobvite:
- One page cover letter describing your interest in Earthjustice and our work, your project management experience and experience recruiting full time staff, temporary hires and/or contractors.
Please apply by May 3, 2021. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.