Internal Communications Specialist
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals, and communities to engage in the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished record of accomplishment of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Houston, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
We are looking for a dynamic, organized, and positive-minded Internal Communications Specialist to join our growing Internal Communications Department. This position will be a part of a collaborative and creative team that works collectively and individually to partner with internal stakeholders across a thriving organization.
The position provides a broad range of communications and administrative support to the Internal Communications Department. The Internal Communications Specialist supports the upkeep of the intranet and curation of content for our staff newsletter and regularly contributes to ways to enhance communications processes and platforms to all staff. The role also supports administrative functions, such as calendaring, project tracking, meeting preparation, and virtual and in-person events coordination. The role contributes to community and culture-building and staff engagement initiatives. They will also provide technical support for All Staff Calls scheduled throughout the program year.
The Internal Communications Specialist reports directly to the Director of Internal Communications and is a member of the Internal Communications Department.
San Francisco or Washington, DC hybrid candidates preferred (2 days a week in-office). Remote candidates are considered (within the United States).
Technology, Tools, and Platform Management (30%):
- Support Senior Internal Communications Specialist with curation of content, evolution, and execution of organizational newsletter.
- Support maintenance of the organization’s intranet (Atlas) as needed, including the design of new spaces and the creation, posting, and updating of new information and content), and troubleshooting technical issues with the Senior Internal Communications Specialist.
- Maintain calendar of content for blogs on Atlas and liaise with authors on content development.
- Support internal communications initiatives and work cross-departmentally on MS Teams, Atlas, Zoom, and Contact Monkey.
- Works with Internal Communications Department to research and implement system changes to enhance user experience with internal communications platforms.
- Coordinates, supports, and maintains new systems and processes for the Internal Communications Department.
Communications Content Support (20%)
- Support IC Department with drafting materials, content, and communications plans and materials, and liaising with internal teams that need support with communicating initiatives or changes.
- Create branded visual/graphic communications products to support internal communications and visuals for Atlas (e.g. flow charts, tip sheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc.)
Administrative Support (30%)
- Provide departmental support in managing projects through Office 365, and Sharepoint tools.
- Support the calendaring, planning, and execution of All-Staff Calls; may include AV set-up and live support, distribution of follow-up recordings and materials, note taking on calls, etc.
- Manage Departmental project tracker, including capturing new and upcoming projects, tracking progress, and flagging deadlines.
- Support scheduling meeting with other internal teams and departments.
- Capture notes and action items during internal communications meetings to keep department on track with supporting internal “clients”.
- Distribute Outlook invitations to all staff and external presenters; promotion of programs on all required internal communications platforms; and providing updates as needed.
- Support the Internal Communications Department onboarding of new team members, including candidate screening, correspondence, scheduling, interviewing, and training.
- Manage and conduct onboarding process for new Internal Communications hires; work with HR and relevant teams to ensure compliance and best practices.
- Support the Internal Communications Department with:
- Event planning and travel coordination, including the planning of team retreats and travel logistics.
- Submitting new vendor paperwork and tracking invoices and credit card expenses.
Culture and Community Building (20%)
- Supports DEI and Affinity Group internal events and initiatives with strong sense of emotional intelligence.
- Contribute to ideation and implementation of organizational culture-building initiatives spearheaded by Internal Communications Department, including Earth Month events, workshops and learning opportunities, and other social events to foster staff engagement and participation.
- Support a vibrant Internal Communications Department culture by helping to organize and support staff cultivation initiatives including retreats, welcome lunches, birthdays, and other team-building events.
- BA required.
- 1-2 years of work experience required.
- In-depth proficiency with MS Office/O365, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Power Automate, and Adobe Reader and Acrobat Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong attention to detail for tracking projects and information sharing with the team and across departments.
- Experience and interest in developing branded visual/graphic communications products to support internal teams at EJ (e.g., flow charts, tip sheets, PowerPoint presentations, etc.)
- Experience with digital management and communication tools, such as Communifire (Atlas), Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and Contact Monkey preferred.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks, often under tight timelines.
- Ability to work with teams remotely and effectively collaborate with a multitude of stakeholders across the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence; proactive, professional, positive, and approachable attitude; a team player.
- Excellent judgment and discernment in handling sensitive or confidential information; ability to handle sensitive matters with discretion and elevate to management as appropriate.
- Interest in contributing to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Can effectively champion a learning culture and inspire curiosity and creative thinking.
- Can act as a steward of organizational culture and helps cultivate employee engagement.
- Leads by example in demonstrating organizational core values.
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience providing administrative support for senior leadership and staff.
- Has prominent levels of emotional intelligence, cultural sensitivity, and discretion.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture and community that encourages and celebrates differences and diversity of thought.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Compensation is based on experience and location.
Salary range for San Francisco, CA: $82,600 - $91,800
Salary range for Washington, D.C.: $78,600 - $87,300
Remote-US Range (will vary by location): $70,300-$91,800
Interested applicants should submit the following via Jobvite by October 7, 2022, at 11:59 pm EST. Candidate applications after that date may be considered on a rolling basis:
- Cover letter
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.