At Earthjustice, we are driven by a passion for justice—for people and for the environment. As the premier nonprofit environmental law organization, we are uniquely qualified to deliver sweeping, on-the-ground results that make a real difference in our environment and our communities. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
In addition to a talented cadre of environmental lawyers and legislative advocates, Earthjustice has an amazing communications department that works in partnership with every other department at the organization.
This position is responsible for working in the Marketing team to help guide the growth of Earthjustice brand awareness, engagement and support. This person will provide marketing expertise across an array of marketing areas including strategy, advertising, media and insights. This position will help drive the execution of marketing efforts as well as the day-to-day department needs.
This position can be based in one of the following locations: San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA. Due to Covid-19, Earthjustice staff are currently working remotely from approved locations through January 18, 2022.
General Marketing (50%)
- Author marketing strategy briefs grounded in insights and incorporating input from relevant teams.
- Develop effective integrated marketing plans for key tentpoles so Earthjustice can present a united brand campaign across paid, owned and earned channels. Lead a cross-functional team of associates in both Communications and Development to develop specific plans for each workstream and oversee all project management aspects of this work to ensure a timely and effective delivery of all plans.
- Oversee and collaborate with in-house Creative team and agency partners as they translate strategy to bring the creative idea to life. Lead internal teams to develop best-in-class execution ideas for paid advertising, partnerships, social, events, and other opportunities that will compel target audiences to engage and support us.
- Lead the management of 2-3 core external agency relationships from start to finish including RFPs, on-boarding, regular meetings, reports, annual performance review
- Develop, implement and evaluate other strategic brand building projects as directed
Strategic Insights and Planning (30%)
- Help develop and strategically execute the annual brand marketing plan to grow brand awareness and engagement with new target audiences
- Guide the Communications department’s understanding of marketing and engage them on key strategic plans and results on all marketing activities
- Develop a deep understanding of the supporter/donor audiences and leverage consumer insights to drive a growth strategy
- Initiate and analyze market research of new audiences we want to reach to improve the organization’s marketing efforts. Conduct desk research or proprietary research on relevant topics, market trends and people to ensure EJ’s efforts are fresh and relevant to target audiences
- Direct the evaluation of the competitive landscape across the environmental and social justice space to ensure EJ’s positioning is unique and ownable.
Continued Learning (10%)
- Participates in organization-wide initiatives and trainings that contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences
- Utilizes internal and external resources to support a personal and professional development journey that increases skills and capabilities
Management (Essential Functions) (10%)
*Currently this position will directly manage one direct report with potential for team growth in the future
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor. Deliver annual performance reviews for staff on time.
- Develops staff by providing professional development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models inclusive behavior.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Provides staff with performance feedback and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or Communications or relevant work experience.
- 5-7 years of demonstrated successful experience in developing marketing campaigns (nonprofit experience preferred).
- Former management experience is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of best practices in consumer/donor marketing with a proven track record of managing external agency relationships.
- Excellent ability to work in a cross-functional, collaborative environment, and to build strong relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to skillfully prioritize and manage a robust set of priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Capacity for absorbing and synthesizing complex program information and translating it into a compelling communication for new and existing supporters.
- Self-starter who can spearhead projects from start to finish without day to day oversight.
- Familiarity with creating clear KPIs and measuring the success of campaigns through the funnel.
- A collaborative mindset with a passion for bringing a story to life across contexts and functional channels (eg, experiential, advertising, press).
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Ability to manage and lead a diverse team in a diverse environment with emotional intelligence and cultural competency.
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands teams strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team’s operations.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $108,700 - $120,800
Salary range in Los Angeles, CA: $103,300 - $114,800
Interested candidates should submit the following via the Jobvite system:
- Cover Letter
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies. Earthjustice only accepts resumes submitted for positions that are currently open. Unsolicited resumes, or resumes for posted positions that are not submitted via the on-line application process (where available), will not be reviewed or retained.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.