Senior Attorney, Northeast Regional
Earthjustice’s Northeast Regional Office based in New York City seeks applicants for a Senior Attorney to join us in using the power of the law to speed the transition from dirty fossil fuels to clean energy solutions in the Northeast region. The position will be located in New York City.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s Northeast Regional Team is based in New York City. The office is dedicated to protecting public health and ensuring a healthy environment for all in the Northeast; combatting the climate crisis; and securing a swift and equitable transition to zero emissions, 100% clean energy. We focus on matters in the Northeast, and also take on mission-critical work outside of this region. The Northeast Regional team currently consists of fifteen staff people including four Senior Attorneys and two Associate Attorneys.
We expect the Senior Attorney we hire for this position to play a leading role developing and litigating cases in the Climate & Energy program area. The Senior Attorney also will play an integral part in shaping the Northeast Office’s strategic plan for fulfilling our regional mission, including to help the team build strong partnerships with local community groups. Finally, the Senior Attorney will play an important part in helping our less experienced attorneys and staff grow and develop in their careers.
Due to Covid-19, Earthjustice staff are currently working remotely from approved locations until further notice.
- Develop new cases in a strategic fashion; conduct factual investigations; develop legal theories; draft pleadings and briefs; and otherwise manage new and existing cases within state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
- Litigate cases from beginning to end, performing all aspects of litigation.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with clients, allies, and coalition partners in litigation and other advocacy.
- Collaborate and manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Supervise the work of Associate Attorneys, Litigation Assistants, and Law Clerks.
- Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into litigation and other legal strategies, working effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation.
- Support efforts to ensure a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Lawyer who is admitted or willing to apply for admission to New York bar;
- At least ten years of litigation experience;
- Excellent litigation skills, including proven legal research, writing, analytical, and oral advocacy skills, and ability to manage a litigation docket effectively;
- Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media;
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with client partners and in leading a team;
- Strong and demonstrated initiative, good judgment, creativity, and work ethic;
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, and presentations;
- Commitment to serving the public interest, and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission;
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations;
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary is based on number of years of litigation experience and location.
Salary range in New York- $167,300+
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Senior Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Senior Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/senior-attorney
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One or two-page cover letter that addresses what draws you to Earthjustice and climate work in the Northeast Region. Please also describe any experiences you have working with people or communities who have been disproportionately affected by environmental harms or from backgrounds that differ from your own.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- List of three references.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.