The New Projects Manager is the voice of the project and drives organizational decision-making to bring in right cross-functional support for project execution. Responsible for leading the efficient and effective execution of process improvements and specific engineering projects, productivity projects, and job effectiveness improvements. When needed, for major projects initiatives, become part of the of the overall project team. Perform as the end to end manager, provide an operational start-up or technical lead from the engineering team as needed. In this role, the manager will be responsible for leading the engineering team in production line trouble shooting, project management - administer budgeting, design, installation, qualification and commissioning, knowledge transfer to maintenance and operations team of new/modified process systems. Additional responsibilities include, directing the engineering team in Production and Quality Departments to resolve production and quality issues, conduct training and maintain and update documentation relating to job. Assist maintenance and production managers as needed on factory improvement initiatives / projects as determined or assigned.
Role and Activity
- Developing a clear knowledge and understanding of the factory, products and machinery.
- Leading the alignment of the strategy and approach for initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing the project with key stakeholders
- Defining and communicating project scope, objectives and expectations
- Identifying project resource requirements and escalating resource constraints
- Leading the team in building and managing the project schedule, managing project budget defining the critical path, tracking activities to ensure functional team members are meeting agreed upon deadlines, generating and communicating status reports, and escalating critical issues.
- Preventive management of roadblocks and generation of risk management plans
- Coordinating and facilitating project meetings including kick-off meetings, project team meetings, risk assessments, lessons learned, post launch reviews and additional meetings as required
- Managing stakeholders at different levels of the organization and providing transparency and communication on project status and risks to cross functional team members and business Leadership Team
- As subject matter expert, provide day-to-day support for all plant processes, primarily ice cream processes and packaging.
- Lead the team in assisting technical teams in resolving maintenance, quality, waste and/or product losses. Conduct follow-up investigations, root cause analysis; recommend equipment modifications, procedural changes, etc., necessary to prevent recurrence. Coordinate implementation of corrective action(s).
- Partner with maintenance team on equipment upgrades, relocations and required maintenance.
- Knowledge and competency - Develop, learn and pass on knowledge in the Ice Cream making and other processing areas cross functionally with primary goal of developing good troubleshooting skills and continuous improvement skills within Maintenance team members
- Establish and maintain a strong working relationship providing for effective communication and exchange of information flow between plant teams and external resources
- Direct the technical teams to ensure they have all machines and equipment ready for consistent and efficient running during production at lowest waste levels before handing machines/equipment over to operator.
- Keep yourself informed of production plans and any changes. It is important to be proactive in finding out what is happening rather than waiting to be told.
- Look for issues. Do not wait to be told or instructed to complete a task
- Awareness of all machinery problems or any unfinished jobs.
- Ensure the designed equipment and machines can produce products that meet the customer specification, quality and food safety.
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully met and that a positive safety culture is maintained throughout the factory and with your team
- Ability to coordinate and maintain multiple projects
- Promote the Dreyer’s Grand culture of employees being owners rather than just employees.
- Other duties as assigned
Levels of responsibility
- All Factory equipment.
- Holding Vendors accountable for their equipment performance
- Production Targets
- Engineering budget
- Health & Safety
- Training and development to improve knowledge of all machinery with the aide of Vendors
- Impeccable hygiene standards always
- Performance – Open to change and will always look for better, simpler and more effective ways of operating. Operate under controlled speed and pressure
- Hands on approach. – Decisions and plans based on seeing and being part of the event, not solely based on report reading. Know and understand the process and machinery.
- Zero compromise on Quality and excellence. – Hygiene, process, speed and waste.
- Entrepreneurial – Challenges the status quo and explores new ideas and opportunities
- Continually striving to increase knowledge of processes and products - Understand all tasks, processes and activities as an expert in Ice cream.
- Teamwork – Commitment and enthusiasm to working together to achieve better outcomes, with a sense of customer service towards the factory.
- Accountability – Personal commitment, methodical and self-disciplined, logical thinking.
- Consumer focused –Support production to deliver products at agreed quality standards.
- Know Your People – Spend time getting to know your people, their skills, interests, knowledge, etc.