Role and Activity
[Describe the essential activities/tasks/duties the job holder assumes in this position, using a numbered list]
- To Plan: organize, facilitate and control your area. This includes all activities of your team to achieve the required standard of production within your area. To ensure that production areas are kept clean and tidy by adopting the “clean as you go principle.” (This will also include partnering with shift colleagues within their areas).
- Accountability: it is your job to make sure that your team members are held accountable for their actions.
- Training and developing: Each individual, within your team, will be given specific targets to achieve an acceptable level of knowledge that will be required to operate the machinery. Through agreed training plans and assessments, each employee will begin the training process at the entry level and will be tested as each course is completed. Scoring will be used to ensure each member of your team is equally trained to the business standard.
- Your Training: You will need to ensure that you understand all machinery in your area and work with your manager to address any areas of opportunity. Manuals will be available for all the machinery.
- Food Safety and Quality: Your main role and that of your team is to comply with all written documented/controlled procedures which comply with food safety and quality. You will have direct control on quality within your area, using your team members to ensure that standards are adhered to at all times. (You and your team are responsible & accountable for quality within your area. Always encourage ownership & ask questions if you are unsure, you also, must consistently partner & interact with your Manager).
- Hygiene & Housekeeping: Understand the expectation of housekeeping in your area is extremely high and must always be maintained. Your area will be audited and scored; and you will need to brief your team daily. Lead by example to ensure that your team complies with all instructions and adheres to the good manufacturing practices. Treating this business as their own. Utilize the “clean as you go” principle and always maintain dry floors.
- Cost Control: (WASTE & DOWNTIME) Utilizing the resources at hand and the knowledge of the particular product you are running down each line; you will need to minimize waste and down time where possible in relation to the product. You need to adopt a regime within your team to control and segregate waste within your area.
- Communication: Face to Face: - You will need to adopt an open forum towards communicating with your team. This can be setup to meet with each person on a one on one basis or to the entire group at one time to keep them up to date. Communicating pre and post shift pass downs daily by being present on the shop floor, making ice cream at required quality level, and controlling the amount of water being used.
- S.H.E Management (Safety / Health and Environment): Ensure that your working practices comply with company rules and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
[List particular behaviors that are needed for this position]
- Performance – Open to change and will always look for better, simpler and more effective ways of operating.
- Hands on approach. – Decisions and plans based on seeing and being part of the event, not solely based on report reading.
- Zero compromise on Quality and excellence. – Hygiene, Process, Labor resource and Waste.
- Entrepreneurial – challenges the status quo and explores new ideas and opportunities.
- Continually striving to increase the knowledge of the processes and products - Understand all tasks, processes and activities as an expert in Ice cream.
- Teamwork – Commitment and enthusiasm to working together to achieve better outcomes.
- Accountability – Personal commitment, full participant who uses personal impact to build the business.
- Consumer focused – Produce product to the agreed quality standards.
- Know Your People – Spend time getting to know your people, their skills, interests, knowledge, etc.