Unity Technical Sound Engineer
We’re all in at DoubleDown. Are you?
We are expanding and looking for an energetic, self-propelled Sound Engineer to join our creative team. In this position you will be handling all the sound integration and audio related programming within our games and apps. You will bring your expert knowledge and experience in Unity to work directly with our artists, audio department and developers. You will enhance the audio quality of our games, manage audio assets, and generate scripts in C#. As a top 10 Facebook, iOS and Android developer, we are committed to building a company that recognizes and rewards all employees, so come grow and challenge your talent!
Be a high roller at DoubleDown
We're DoubleDown Interactive, a talented team of approximately 150 Software Engineers, Game Designers, Artists, Producers, Marketers, Analytical Experts, and more. Located in Seattle’s International District, we create fun, authentic casino-style entertainment via free-to-play social and mobile games, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide. As a leader in the social casino space, we continue to revolutionize through constant innovation. Known for our fun and collaborative culture, we move quickly to deliver exciting online game experiences to casino enthusiasts and social gamers alike.
What you should bring to the table
- At least 3-5 years+ of experience as a Technical Sound Engineer within the mobile games industry
- A high level of comfort and confidence working equally with audio, game art and programming
- Experience with Unity
- Strong understanding of Asset Bundling within Unity
- Know how to use existing game event code and animations to control sounds and manage looping audio efficiently
- Troubleshoot audio asset compatibility across mobile devices and optimize specifically for memory and/or file size constraints
- Strong collaboration across teams: Artists, Technical Artists, Audio Engineers & Developers
- Proficient with C# scripting in Unity
- Deep understanding of compression formats and options for encoding data
- Familiar with Unity components, such as Audio Listener, Audio Source and Audio Clip
- Build upon, and improve the custom scripts written by both TA and dev teams
- Able to create tools and scripts to streamline productivity
- Knowledge of audio creation and editing software
- Able to think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations
- Able to work well as part of a team with minimum supervision
- Professionalism: good attitude, focused, meets deadlines consistently, open to collaboration and feedback
Other cards you might be holding
- Casino game creation experience, especially slots
- Experience working with Unity video
- Unity Certification
- Experience shipping at least one high quality title
- Avid gamer that can connect with slots/casino core demographic
- Experience with Audio Mixer for mixing and mastering various audio sources
- Advanced FX
- Experience with building and improving existing tools for Technical Artists and Artists to allow implementation of event audio without a need for programming
Placing your best bet - the responsibilities
- Collaborate with artists and audio engineers to polish timing with animations and UI Events
- Develop workflow for getting raw audio assets into the project and ensuring they have correct import settings
- Create a library of configurable audio transition such as crossfading, relative volume control and organize existing audio utilities
- Improve current system for managing audio settings on both app and scene scale
- Determine the best file settings for a given asset based on it’s usage in the app
- Mobile app development
- Casino game creation
- Working closely with developers, audio department and artists
- Investigate new techniques, implementation, and team training
- Optimization and focus on keeping things light
- Tool writing
Hitting the jackpot
Do you get excited about working with audio assets and programming in Unity? Do you like solving problems and troubleshooting? Then this is just the role for you! In this role, you get to leverage your knowledge by troubleshooting audio asset compatibility across mobile devices and optimize specifically for memory and/or file constraints. You will be using existing game event code and animations to control sounds and manage looping audio efficiently. You will also use, build upon, and improve custom scripts written by both Technical Artists & Developers.
Cashing in on the comps
- Getting to the office is a breeze with one of our two company-sponsored transportation options:
- ORCA pass, renewed annually
- $100 monthly transportation credit
- Stow your ride safely in the secured parking garage or bike locker available onsite.
- It’s a gaming company, so take a gaming break and get to know your coworkers with a little competitive fun! Square off over ping pong, foosball, or pinball in our arcade. You’ll find plenty of takers for a tabletop gaming session, too!
- Stay in tip-top shape by taking advantage of our onsite fitness center. Just head down to the first floor of our building, and you’ll have access to state of the art equipment, lockers, and showers.
- Need to relax? Get a massage or enjoy a yoga session right here in the studio! After all, who wants to work without a massage?
- Enjoy occasional afternoons off for private viewings of first-run movies and team outings to see the Mariners play.
- Hungry? Head to our kitchen fully stocked with snacks and beverages.
- You’ll never want to take the day off on Wednesdays, when we even provide a gourmet breakfast.
- Want to go out to lunch sometimes, too? Our International District location is perfectly situated near a variety of excellent restaurants.
- As if all of this isn't cool enough, you'll love our benefit package.
- We offer medical, dental, vision, prescription coverage, maternity/paternity leave, and disability protection (short- and long-term).
- Every team member receives 15 days of vacation, 56 hours of sick time, 2 personal floating holidays, and 11 paid calendar holidays per year.
- Combine all of this with our amazing work/life balance and company-matched retirement options, and you have the dream job!
Looking for another reason we're the best place in Seattle to work? We're committed to our role as an Equal Opportunity Employer – we embrace a diverse mix of voices and create a positive environment where everyone belongs. We don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our communities. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. DoubleDown is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need help completing your application, let us know! Email us at Careers@DoubleDown.com and one of our awesome HR team members will get you everything you need. We look forward to meeting you soon!
To be considered, you must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to successfully pass a security criminal background investigation.
DoubleDown partners with E-Verify, an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.