Senior Game Designer
Want to be part of something new and exciting?
Are you a video game designer who wants to help turn an entire genre on its head? This could be your gig! We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly experienced mobile game designer who can select the best elements from video games to define a whole new world of entertainment!
We would like you to start from a crisp understanding of the mobile casual and mid-core player and the games they play. This will help you to build new experiences that are evolutionary in nature and draw from the best mechanics and ideas from casual, console, social, and free-to-play games – in other words, staying true to what our core player wants, but also appealing to a broader palate.
Armed with great design and human interaction skills, an understanding of chance, mid-core, casual, and free-to-play games, and with a deliberate focus on providing fun, engagement, and delight to our dedicated audience, you will be part of a team of designers working alongside artists and engineers who are ready to crack the code of uniting a compelling core loop, app-wide metagame features, and eco-systems that highlight engagement, retention, and virality.
Be a key player in building new worlds and experiences at DoubleDown!
Our Seattle studio is the hub for all things creative – think Game Designers, Artists, Marketers, and more! Located in Seattle’s International District, we are exploring beyond our social casino roots and focusing on creating multiple, all-new casual and mid-core franchises – expanding to create experiences in fun new worlds, developing characters, stories & gameplay! As a leader in the social casino space, we are excited to continue revolutionizing mobile games through constant cross-genre innovation. Known for our fun and collaborative culture, we move quickly to deliver exciting game experiences to all sorts of gamers.
Your XP, Badges & Skill Tree
- A long-standing passion for playing games of multiple genres and platforms and a solid background in video games and free-to-play games
- Expert level understanding of the casual and mid-core mobile games space in a variety of genres.
- 8-10 years of industry experience shipping multiple games with a graduate or post-graduate degree in game design or similar field or equivalent work experience
- You’ll need to write, justify, and collaborate on meta features, core gameplay loops, and in coming up with interesting new app and story ideas for our games
- A solid suite of math skills that will allow you to realize your designs and fine tune them for maximum effectiveness
- A strong knowledge of scripting languages and an ability to create working prototypes
- The ability to communicate effectively with engineering, art, UX, production, and business personnel
- An unrelenting self-motivated spirit and the ability to take initiative!
Other Superpowers & Abilities
- A healthy passion for games with a good understanding of the player psychology that drives that dedication
- An equally healthy passion for lighthearted puzzle games and so called “minigames”
- A well-rounded designer capable of making contributions in all branches of their discipline; from game systems to storytelling to gameplay loops that keep our players coming back for more and having fun
- A naturally curious mind interested in zeroing in on what existing and potential players want
- Thrives in a semi-structured, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- You will work with our Director of Production and the rest of the design team to plan and execute on a wide variety of social gaming initiatives
- Help to create the designs, documentation, systems mechanics, as well as guide the implementation of game features and systems with eyes on engagement, retention and monetization
- Work with production, art, and UX design to bring these plans to fruition
- Find novel ways to implement new features with a high chance of striking a chord with our audience via prototyping, user testing, and game design collaborative jams
During your first year, you will help create, document, and prototype a variety of features for both casual and mid-core mobile games. You will be delivering the design documentation to explain key aspects of the work to other disciplines for development as you watch your designs come to life. Help refine your features to meet key performance metrics, including improvements to UX, player engagement and monetization.
Rewards and Perks
Due to our entire studio working remote, the cool things we do for employees have slightly changed. Here is a glance of fun things we have done as a studio during this time!
- Take a break and participate in our bi-weekly (sometimes themed) trivia session!
- Stay zen throughout the week by taking advantage of one or more of our virtual yoga classes.
- Hungry? Anticipate monthly snack boxes courtesy of Garten!
- Need some caffeine? We’ve got you covered too! Fun themed coffee boxes get sent straight to your door, enough to last a couple months.
- Does your home “office” need some comfort? Take advantage of our office chair lending program!
- Still not comfortable? Schedule a virtual visit from our team of ergonomics assessment professionals.
- Miss seeing your coworkers faces? We also do virtual company events! Here is a snapshot of things we have done this past year:
- Pride Bingo
- Wine Tasting & Trivia
- Escape Room Extravaganza
- Painting Class
- Virtual Murder Mystery
- Virtual Candle Making
- Story Time with Santa
- Still hungry? Depending on the month, you’ll get carefully curated goodie boxes, to feed you and your family!
- Giving back to the community is just as important as giving to our employees. We have sponsored a company match for Juneteenth, hosted a virtual bike challenge benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of King County and partnered once again with NBCF, and other local organizations.
- As if all of this isn't cool enough, you'll love our benefit package.
- We offer medical, dental, vision, prescription coverage, maternity/paternity leave, disability protection (short- and long-term) and a 401(k) employer match and both traditional and Roth plans.
- Not sure where to start with benefits? Health Advocate is here to help navigate benefits with you, like finding a doctor or help answer any medical related questions 24/7!
- Every team member receives 15 days of vacation, 56 hours of sick time, 2 personal floating holidays, and 11 paid calendar holidays per year.
- With everything that’s going on in the world right now, we’ve got your back!
- Between our Employee Assistance Program and our medical provider, you have up to 8 free counseling visits annually.
- Our Simply Engaged and Rally Wellness Programs provide at home workouts, wellness resources and healthy recipes. Need more motivation? They also reward your healthy habits with gift cards!
- And finally, to give you peace of mind, InfoArmor provides around the clock identity theft protection.
- Combine all of this with our amazing work/life balance and company-matched retirement options, and you have the dream job!
Looking for another reason we're the best place in Seattle to work? We're committed to our role as an Equal Opportunity Employer – we embrace a diverse mix of voices and create a positive environment where everyone belongs. We don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our communities. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. DoubleDown is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need help completing your application, let us know! Email us at [email protected] and one of our awesome HR team members will get you everything you need. We look forward to meeting you soon!
To be considered, you must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to successfully pass a security criminal background investigation. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship as DoubleDown does not sponsor, renew, or extend immigration visas for this position.
DoubleDown partners with E-Verify, an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
*How we're handling COVID-19*
We are still hiring, so we’ve adapted our process to keep people safe. All positions at DoubleDown are subject to interviewing & onboarding virtually/remotely. These positions will begin as Work From Home, however with COVID restrictions slowly lifting, we will start to slowly transition into a hybrid environment based out of our Seattle, WA studio. In person collaboration is an important part of making awesome gaming experiences so when it is safe, we look forward to working together both virtually and in person!