Superviseur R&D - R&D Supervisor
The Production Technology department at DNEG is responsible for creating and supporting the technology used by our artists and the software infrastructure required by a multi-site, global studio. With multiple film projects running in parallel, from the projects initial design, to production and post-production, there are complex problems that arise through thousands of artists producing tens of thousands of shots and sharing assets.
A site R&D Supervisor oversees the local R&D teams and assumes responsibility for the work being done by them. Their key purpose is to ensure the right projects are being worked on effectively and to communicate outwards to Site Supervisors, CG Supervisors, other global R&D teams and upwards to the Head of R&D, Head of Production Technology and CTO.
Our R&D Supervisors are highly technical and enthusiastic leaders. You will be regularly required to:
- Supervise and mentor a local team of R&D developers of various levels across several teams;
- Supervise global team members involved in particular teams/projects;
- Engage with other senior members of the R&D team and Production Technology department to set best practices and standards for the department.
- Participate in code reviews, guide software architecture and supervise the work.
- Contribute to global planning and strategy for the department.
- Manage expectations of senior stakeholders and communicate updates to senior management.
- Anticipate the needs of the department and the Montreal studio.
- Work with Project Managers in project planning, estimations, risk management and oversight.
- Represent the Montreal R&D Department in global meetings with other supervisors, HODs, leaders.
- Work with the Department Manager for line management of the team, performance reviews, conflict management.
- Collaborate with site Supervisors, Head of R&D, Head of Production Technology and CTO to ensure correct prioritization and strategy of development road-maps
- Provide broad plans and estimates on proposals
- Represent their area in bidding, new show ‘’get-go’’ and show meetings
- Promote the implementation of best practices in all areas of the software development lifecycle (including design, coding, testing, Agile etc.)
- Involvement with recruiting for and resourcing upcoming project
- 5+ years’ experience in R&D for VFX/CG or equivalent industry
- 3+ years leading a software development team
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent subject
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Knowledge and understanding of software development best practices
- Forward thinking with the ability to plan ahead whilst balancing the priorities of immediate production needs
- Knowledgeable and interested in emerging technologies
- Master level of expertise in infrastructure and software for VFX, covering a broad scope of disciplines
- Bilingual (French & English)
- Proven experience developing VFX-related tools
- Experience with UI toolkits such as Qt
- Experience with APIs for relevant applications such as Maya and Houdini
- Passionate about film
- Clear communicator of succinct and accurate information
- Organized, pro-active and a self-starter
- Calm under pressure and capable of delivering to short deadlines
- Adaptable to changing scenarios and showing initiative
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.