Senior Staff Software Developer Data Architect
Core Services is looking for a Senior Staff Software Developer Data Architect.
The Core Services group provides foundational technologies to other technology groups within DNEG. We are a team of software developers who architect, build and provide geographically spread, enterprise-level, mission-critical infrastructure. We create services, frameworks, and products that other teams rely upon to build and deliver their technology solutions. We are the core of all things technology at DNEG.
To start with, the Senior Staff Software Developer Data Architect will be primarily working in the Data Frameworks domain @ Core Services which provides foundational software to other teams that are intended to be utilized to provide end-user functionality. Data Frameworks makes available abstraction layers to the core asset tracking system’s data that are utilized across various products, and automation libraries and frameworks to assist software developers in creating consistent automation.
As the Senior Staff Software Developer Data Architect, you will both architect and be accountable for DNEG’s data models, frameworks, and storage. This includes data used to track digital assets through the content creation pipeline, pipeline-related metadata, and analytics data from various sources, to name a few.
● Work with stakeholders to understand the data needs of the business and translate them into technical specifications.
● Architect systems that abstract data-related operations for other developers.
● Consider the flow of various types of data throughout DNEG’s systems and model data accordingly.
● Mentor software developers in their implementation of the systems you design.
● Attend stand-ups, answer questions, and clear roadblocks that developers and other stakeholders might have.
● Proactively look for opportunities to optimize how data is created, modified, accessed, and purged in various systems.
● In collaboration with other architects, help establish a common vocabulary for data across various systems.
● Help in the hiring of software developers for Core Services, from screening to devising interview strategies to creating suitable questions/design challenges.
● Knowledge of various data models including SQL, document, graph, and time series.
● Knowledge of various database management systems.
● Knowledge of service-oriented architecture.
● Knowledge of API design approaches such as REST and GraphQL.
● Advanced experience in the architecting and development of software frameworks.
● Expert knowledge of Python and C++.
● Strong experience in the practice of modern software development methodologies, practices, and systems including Agile, Scrum or Kanban, CI/CD, and Git.
● Experience, opinions, and vision around the organization of frameworks projects.
● Flexibility in working with teams spread across geographies and time zones.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Some experience working with Pixar’s Universal Scene Description (USD).
● Awareness of security considerations around data management.
● Ability to present technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
● Experience understanding and refactoring of legacy code-base along with migrating them to service-oriented architectures.
● Previous experience working in a VFX environment.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).