Lead Surfacing Artist (DNEG Animation)
Since 2014, DNEG’s Feature Animation division has been collaborating with filmmakers and IP owners to create high-end animated feature films. Currently in production on major animated features we are looking for new talent to join our growing team. Thriving on collaboration and the creative energy it provides, we will craft together spectacular visuals and bring to life the vision of both major Hollywood studios and independent productions! Visit our website to find out more about Feature Animation at DNEG: https://www.dneg.com/feature-animation/
Having established ourselves as a key player in Feature Animation, we rely on our talented Surfacing Artists to work closely with our production team to create the textures, surface, and groom qualities needed for the completion of CG Characters and hard-surface models. They are responsible for the delivery of high-quality hair, fur, feathers and organic elements for our 3D characters and environments. As a Lead Surfacing Artist you will work with the Surfacing Supervisor to oversee a team of artists, and through quality control, ensure shots are created and rendered according to the designs and visual style of the production.
Our Lead artists are responsible for guiding artists overall professional development, mentoring and providing performance feedback and maintaining positive team morale. Working alongside the Surfacing, Modelling, Lighting and Sequence Supervisors, you will help define department standards and suggest production friendly solutions to any problems that may arise, whilst maintaining the vision of the film.
We require our Lead Artists to have a great eye, exceptional critical thinking in image deconstruction and advanced artistic abilities in CG/traditional artwork.
- Previous experience in a leadership role on a Feature Animation or VFX production
- Experience working on high quality shading, surfacing and texturing
- Familiarity with Feature Animation production
- Attention to details in textures and materials
- Experience with fur and feather grooming tools, such as Shave and Haircut or Maya’s exGen
- Proficient in Mari (Preferred), Zbrush, Photoshop, or BodyPaint
- A good understanding of material properties with regards to shading
- Demo reel with descriptive break down illustrating knowledge and experience in painting, illustration, or design
Nice to Have
- Experience in Unreal Engine or other real-time rendering softwares
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving and organisational skills
- Confident in liaising with various teams in the pipeline
- Excellent time management
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).