Software Developer - Scene Assembly and Lighting
Software Developer - Scene Assembly & Lighting
As a Software Developer for our Production Technology department, you will work as part of a team to develop, improve, maintain and support the tools used by our surfacing and lighting artists to produce our award-winning Visual Effects and Feature Animation work.
The core responsibilities for this position include:
● Designing/developing and maintaining Katana tooling for the surfacing and lighting teams.
● Collaboration with lighting artists and other software developers to establish pipeline and
workflow best practices.
● Producing technical specifications and documentation for the tools you develop.
● Ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
As well as being technically proficient, you will also need to be a good communicator - you will be producing technical documentation, assessing and understanding the needs and requirements of our lighting artists, and communicating development timeframes to the team lead and your Project Manager. Your ability to articulate complex technical information to non-technical people will help you thrive in this role.
This is a great opportunity to join DNEG’s Production Technology department and work as part of a team of talented software developers, reporting to your Lead or Senior Lighting developer. You will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle and will be contributing to the technology behind exceptional VFX work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
● Degree in Computer Science or similar subject, or equivalent industry experience
● Software development experience in C++, PyQt and Python
● Experience using and/or developing for Katana and/or an equivalent lighting/rendering package.
Nice to have:
● Experience with automated software testing methodologies and tools
● Working knowledge of Open Shading Language
● Working knowledge of other specialisms within the Visual Effects pipeline
● Experience with one or more modern renderers: Renderman, Arnold, Mantra etc.
● Previous experience in surfacing and/or lighting for Films or Games.
● Experience using and/or developing for Houdini
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing a diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 8,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Mohali,Chennai, Mumbai).