Front End Developer
We are looking for a Front-End Developer to build next-generation intelligent search applications for the VFX industry. As part of our informatics team, you will be responsible for turning artist-focused UI/UX designs into highly functional and interactive applications. You will bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the applications look as well as how they work.
Our Informatics team is dedicated to creating new systems to categorise, search, transform and re-purpose the digital assets used by our production teams in VFX, Feature Animation and TV, with the team's initial focus being a multi-year, multi- organisation EU funded project (SAUCE). Key components of these systems are methods for search via semantic labelling, multi-domain categorisation (taxonomies with various terms), efficient faceted search; data-specific descriptor based searching and automated data transformation. These services will be exposed in various interfaces and be used by thousands of DNEG artists, globally. It will also provide key functionality to be used by other development teams in areas such as AI-based semantic extraction and labelling, and synthesis of novel crowd animation.
You will be required to:
- Develop new user-facing features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future user-facing
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimise applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Assure proper client-side validation
- Investigate solutions and techniques to improve our existing tools and software packages
- Work closely with Software Developers to design technical solutions for user experience challenges experienced by our artists
- Present ideas for development opportunities to the Lead and Senior Developers
- Produce technical specifications and documentation for the tools you develop
- Ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
This is a great opportunity to join DNEG’s Production Technology department where you will be crucial in contributing to the development of technology behind exceptional VFX work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- Good understanding of developing web based user interfaces and web standards, (HTTP, WebSockets, HTML, CSS, SASS)
- Experience with frameworks such as ReactJS & Bootstrap
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Strong understanding of dependency management and project build tools such as NPM & WebPack
- Strong understanding of Test Driven and Behaviour Driven Development
- Familiarity with Linux and Docker or similar containerisation technology
- Good understanding of data persistence technologies
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
Nice to have:
- Experience designing/prototyping user-interfaces using tools such as Sketch, Adobe XD, InVision, Balsamiq
- Experience with Linked Data Standards namely JSON-LD, SPARQL
- Experience with Elastic Search, Apache Solr or Lucene
- Experience with Graphstores and Graph Databases namely Blazegraph, Amazon Neptune, GraphQL
- Experience with Python and PyQt
A note on equal opportunities
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.