Unreal Technical Artist
Our virtual production department at DNEG provides cutting-edge services to clients and helps them return film to its roots, being able to see what is being filmed as it happens, using Virtual Reality, Augmented reality and more. Virtual production is quickly becoming adopted by the industry due to its vast benefits of a more iterative workflow and the ability to visualize things in a naturalistic way.
As a Technical Artist for our Virtual Production team, you will be working closely with our team of specialists to help to support the filmmaking process to become more dynamic and versatile where educated decisions can be made upfront, improving the overall creative experience. You will be using a variety of tools, software and hardware to deliver creative solutions on set with the director and crew as they film.
As well as being technically proficient, you will also need to be a good communicator, this role will require to run on-set collaborative demos with directors, VFX supervisors, and other VFX artists.
- Strong communication skills in client-facing situations, including but not limited to, email, database tracking, understanding and interpreting creative notes
- Python scripting knowledge for Unreal
- At least 2 years working in the industry with blueprints/Unreal Engine
- Strong knowledge of nDisplay setup
- Strong knowledge of 3D asset creation in Maya and motion builder with Unreal Engine, as well as character/camera animation and game pipelines
- Solid understanding of workflows inside UE4, including knowledge of lighting, particle systems, post-processes, material setup and optimization
- Must be efficient, reliable, self-motivated and passionate about your work, requiring minimal supervision
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to troubleshoot In-engine and with hardware e.g. VR headsets or trackers
- Calm under pressure and proficient at working to deadlines
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of virtual production pipelines for film or television
- Experience working with photogrammetric Modeling
- Knowledge of setting up and troubleshooting Virtual Reality headsets or similar hardware
- Familiarity working collaboratively on projects with other artists and programmers using a source control system, e.g. perforce or equivalent (git, SVN etc.)
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation studios for the creation of feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).