Software Developer - Platform
The DNEG VFX and Feature Animation divisions use several DCCs to produce world class Visual Effects and Feature Animation work. To facilitate this, the platform team collaborates across all areas of the business and departments.
The developers working alongside these departments help to produce both artist facing, and back end tooling to assist with streamlining of work-flows, adding new functionality, and solving critical production issues.
As a software developer within the platform team you will be working across the ecosystem of multiple DCCs and disciplines, you will be regularly required to:
● Investigate solutions and techniques to extend and improve DCC functionality
● Develop new software tools which integrate DCCs with DNEG’s pipeline
● Support Production and Technology teams to resolve DCC specific issues
● Create simple reproducible cases for issues which can be passed to a DCC vendor
● Present ideas for development opportunities to the Lead and Senior Developers
It is not a prerequisite to have a deep understanding of all the DCC’s used at DNEG to have success in this role. Familiarity with the overall work-flow, and an understanding of how a VFX/Feature pipeline functions is preferred. There is however still a desire to have DCC specialists who can act as an authority on that domain; the rest of the team can leverage this specialisation.
As well as demonstrating technical skill and initiative, your ability to communicate between technical developers and non-technical artists and end users will help you thrive in this role. We encourage a technically creative and collaborative attitude and are looking for individuals who are willing and able to bring their own solutions and ideas to the table.
You will work closely with our Technology Project Managers to plan your projects, establish development road maps and drive new initiatives taking the technology even further. You will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; designing, testing, supporting and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline.
● Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant professional experience .
● Programming experience in Python and/or C++
● Good command over at least one of the primary VFX DCCs, Maya, Houdini or Nuke.
● Experience with the APIs and development languages of the DCC.
● Experience developing testable, maintainable software in a Linux environment.
● Experience with source control systems and developing within a high calibre team.
Nice to have:
● Working knowledge of VFX, Feature Animation workflow.
● Experience with libraries like Pixar's USD, Qt, Boost, OpenGL.
● Experience with shading languages like GLSL, RSL
● Experience with build systems, and build automation.
● Experience with some of the tertiary VFX tools & DCCs like Clarisse, Substance, Mari & Modern VFX Renderers like RenderMan.
A note on Equal Opportunities
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation companies for the creation of award-winning feature film, television, and multiplatform content. We employ more than 10,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London), Asia (Bangalore, Mohali, Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).