Lead Software Developer - Houdini
Lead Software Engineer - Houdini
As Lead Software Engineer of the Houdini team at DNEG, you will lead a team of highly engaged and knowledgeable professionals developing tools and workflows that enable our Houdini artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning - and award-winning - Visual Effects work.
The Production Technology department supports multiple film projects in parallel, from initial design and on-set supervision to production and post-production. You will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; architecting, developing and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline, developed predominantly in Python.
Our R&D Software Engineers are highly technical and methodical in their approach to solving complex problems. You will:
- Supervise your team of Software Engineers, who will look to you as a mentor to develop their skills and as a coach to guide them through the software development life cycle.
- Collaborate with a variety of production stakeholders, to identify key areas to enhance Houdini and gather requirements.
- Allocate your team’s workload and manage the expectations of key stakeholders
- Investigate existing and new techniques to improve our in-house and off-the-shelf tools and software packages in Houdini
- Ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
- Work with your team and production stakeholders to ensure that tool releases and new versions of Houdini are thoroughly tested prior to release
- Be a good communicator – you will be presenting your ideas to stakeholders and senior developers in your team, producing technical documentation and communicating development timeframes.
- Be a primary point of contact for our artists to ensure they are supported by the work your team produces. Your ability to communicate accurately and succinctly with technical developers and non-technical artists will help you thrive in this role
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with excellent technical leadership skills to join DNEG’s Production Technology department and lead a team of talented Tool Developers. You will be responsible for supporting and driving improvement of the tools which are used by artists throughout the facility on the exceptional VFX and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant professional experience
- Extensive programming experience in Python and C++
- Expert knowledge of Houdini
- Experience integrating Houdini within a vfx pipeline, including alembic and VDB interop.
- Experience leading a team
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity of how Houdini is used across multiple disciplines (e.g. FX, CFX, Environments)
- Practical knowledge of USD, especially in regard to leveraging USD in Houdini
- Experience using Houdini’s HDK
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.