The Art Director will work closely with the Artists, Global Head of Art, Clients and Producers in providing art direction and creative leadership to projects from pitching and pre production through to post production and delivery, with the goal of ensuring excellence of visual work and imagination throughout the company. The Art Director will be involved in leading and enabling the artists creative and visual development for projects in both pre production and during production.
It is essential for the Art Director to have extensive experience in a wide variety of visual styles, with previous experience as an art director and senior designer, an extensive understanding of the creative process to be able to work within the myriad of visual and aesthetic vernaculars (most often in a photo-real context) demanded by the projects on which DNEG may pitch or work, which span the gamut from pre history to science futures.
The territory of this work spans from Creature design and development, environment design- both 'natural' & architectural, costume and prop design, vehicles and technology.
- 3+ years experience in working as an art director and senior designer with a wide variety of styles and looks on the reel as well as a great eye and aesthetic.
- Photoshop & 3d package skills at a senior level. Demonstrated successful background in pitching and a genuine love for the project development process.
- Extensive illustrated concept art experience.
- Ability to work with concept artists, VFX supervisors, producers, and directors.
- Good leadership skills, and an ability to lead projects from inception to completion.
- Clear presentations skills and articulation to inspire the artist team and clients.
- Experience working with and mentoring concept artists and VFX teams, in both 2D and 3D environments.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, and communicate and articulate your ideas well
- Excellent collaboration skills and a strong desire to work in a fast paced global company, always looking to excel, push new creative bounds and be the best in the industry
- An outstanding and varied aesthetic with the ability to interpret a multitude of creative visions.
- Strong knowledge of visual effects techniques and the latest conceptual design processes, including photoreal concept development and cinematography.
- A clear and excellent understanding of human and animal anatomy. Strong aesthetic appreciation for composition, proportion, mass and volume, light, lighting and colour composition and storytelling.
Nice to Have
- Zbrush knowledge, as well as a grasp of Unreal
- Understanding and experience of art directing CG is preferable
- Passionate about film
- Confident communicator and presenter, able to articulate visuals and ideas that inspire
- Calm under pressure and capable of delivering to short deadlines without compromising on quality
- Organised and methodical in your approach to the work
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 8,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Mohali,Chennai, Mumbai).