Lead Software Developer - Crowd Tools
Lead Software Developer – Crowd Tools
Key Purpose of the Job:
The Crowd team at DNEG creates and maintains a suite of tools and software to facilitate complex crowd authoring work in the production of award-winning Visual Effects and Feature Animation work. As a Lead Software Developer in this group, you will guide a highly engaged and talented team implementing tools to generate, manipulate and render large-scale digital crowds, as well as work to improve the performance and capabilities of our core software stack that underpins all of the tools we develop. Your primary DCC platform will be SideFX Houdini, with the majority of the code written in C++.
The tools you will be working on will be used in the creation of large scale crowds, ranging from simple cheering audiences in stadiums (Bohemian Rhapsody), to shoaling fish, battling armies, and even swarms of complex mechanical insect-like rippers (Pacific Rim:Uprising). Upcoming projects require crowds of even greater complexity with agent-to-agent interaction.
Our Developers are highly technical and methodical in their approach to solving complex problems. You will:
- Supervise your team of Software Developers, who will look to you as a mentor to develop their skills and as a coach to guide them through the software development life cycle
- Allocate your team’s workload and manage the expectations of key stakeholders
- Investigate solutions and techniques to improve our in-house and off-the-shelf Crowd tools and software packages, assuming responsibility for the low-level integration into our pipeline and high-level functionality.
- Ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
- Be a good communicator – you will be producing technical documentation, communicating development timeframes and presenting your ideas to stakeholders and senior developers in your team
- Be a primary point of contact for our artists to ensure they are supported by the work your team produces. Your ability to communicate accurately and succinctly with technical developers and non-technical artists will help you thrive in this role
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with excellent technical leadership skills to join DNEG’s Production Technology department and lead a team of talented Tool Developers. You will be responsible for supporting and driving improvement of the tools which are used by artists throughout the facility on the exceptional VFX and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- Demonstrable research and academic achievements in the areas of crowd generation or animation synthesis OR production experience in animation synthesis techniques.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant professional experience
- Extensive programming experience in C++ and practical experience or knowledge of Python programming
Nice to Have
- Experience leading a team
- Experience with APIs for relevant applications such as Houdini or Maya
- Experience writing multithreaded algorithms
- Practical knowledge of libraries such as Qt, OpenGL, Boost, OpenSubdiv, BLAS, Eigen, OpenCL or CUDA
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our technical directors have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montreal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation studios for the creation of feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).