About Your Role:
The Dotdash Product team is looking for a curious and enthusiastic product intern who will be exposed to various components of product management. By the end of the program, you will leave with a strong understanding of what the product manager/product owner role encompasses by actively contributing to the Dotdash product organization along with completing a summer project directly related to our suite of products.
The Dotdash Summer Intern Program is from June 3rd through August 9th, 40 hours a week with a competitive compensation rate. You will be based at our Dotdash Headquarters in Times Square. The program consists of hands-on learning, opportunities to create work that has an impact, along with workshops in preparing you for post-college life (resume / interviewing) and some fun events throughout the summer!
About Your Contributions:
You will be immersed in a rotational program over the summer covering the following:
- Product Discovery & User Research — Creating personas; conducting user interviews with end-users and internal stakeholders
- Product Design & Development — Exploring basic user experience (UX) and Information Architecture (IA) concepts; learning about Dotdash's tech stack and product offerings; learning how new features are conceived, prioritized and built
- Agile Project Management — Learning about the Agile Scrum development framework; attending standups and sprint planning meetings; carrying a project from ideation through execution
- Product Analytics — Running AB tests and ROI analyses on various product decisions; understanding how a single decision impacts user engagement and revenue KPIs
- Digital Media & Advertising Industry Knowledge — Understanding the digital advertising marketplace ("the Internet's business model") and basic digital media terms and concepts
- Product Strategy — Deciding what to build, who we build for, when we build it and what problems we seek to solve; setting product visions and building road maps
- You are curious, thoughtful and a self-starter
- You often find yourself thinking about any of the following:
- How systems, technologies and products impact people's experiences
- Why an experience or product is enjoyable—what about it delights you?
- How to complete a task more effectively and efficiently
- You have an interest in quantifying success ("How well did this actually work?") — some experience with Excel, Python or SQL is great, but not necessary
- You are organized and detail-oriented
- You possess strong interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills
- An understanding of the publishing/media industry is desired
If you resonate with the following description, you should consider our Summer Product Internship:
"Product management is a weird discipline full of oddballs and rejects that never quite fit in anywhere else. For my part, I loved the technical challenges of engineering but despised the coding. I liked solving problems, but I hated having other people tell me what to do. I wanted to be a part of the strategic decisions, I wanted to own the product. Marketing appealed to my creativity, but I knew I'd dislike being too far away from the technology. Engineers respected me, but knew my heart was elsewhere and generally thought I was too "marketing-ish." People like me naturally gravitate to product management."
–Ken Norton, How to Hire a Product Manager
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, Byrdie, MyDomaine, TripSavvy and ThoughtCo.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.