Dotdash is seeking an Editor to help us take our lifestyle brands, The Spruce, The Spruce Pets and The Spruce Crafts, to the next level. We are looking for a digitally savvy content enthusiast with a passion for all things home, DIY, animals, who is eager to drive the ongoing evolution and growth of one of the biggest content sites on the web. The Editor will work with The Spruce team to improve editorial content and user experience to ultimately grow traffic, audience engagement, and revenue. We are building a fun, spirited team that will create amazing digital products!
About Your Contributions:
- Assign, review and edit content from freelance writers to make sure our best practices are met.
- Review and update content, including replacing outdated images, as needed.
- Source potential new writers, scheduling phone interviews, reviewing writing samples and ultimately making go/no go recommendations for candidates.
- Occasionally write or produce new content in-house, including new product/collection announcements and super shareable/clicky round-ups.
- Work with photo editor and other editors to brainstorm and direct photo shoots.
- Curate and promote our best content via email newsletters, across site landing pages, and through content partnerships.
- Work with Editors and General Manager to help shape and define editorial strategy, increase audience, and drive user engagement.
- Work with team on ad-hoc projects with the goal of improving content quality.
- Track competitive landscape to identify trends and opportunities within the space. Support GM & Editorial Director in differentiating our verticals from others in the marketplace. Work with Sales & Marketing to identify custom packages and campaigns for direct premium sales.
- Proactive, flexible team player with a sense of humor and entrepreneurial energy, able to roll with the punches and take ownership in a fluid and fast-moving environment.
- Passionate about all things home, crafts, and pets and eager to share your knowledge with the world.
- Consistently up to date with industry trends; able to identify topics of interest to a wide audience.
- Experience in application of SEO.
- 3-4 years experience developing and curating digital content for web, email, and social environments against business goals. Operating experience with content management systems and web analytics tools and experience using data and revenue goals to inform and develop digital strategies.
- Detail oriented and deadline focused with solid proofing skills. Strong copywriter, capable of writing engaging, lively headlines and blurbs.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in journalism or communications a major plus
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, Byrdie, MyDomaine, TripSavvy and ThoughtCo.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.