Editor, The Balance
About Your Role
As an Editor, you will fact check and edit educational articles, as well as product reviews, comparisons, and “best of” lists about financial products, from credit cards and savings accounts to personal loans and mortgages. Every day, hundreds of thousands of people rely on The Balance to make financial decisions. They are consumers, savers, entrepreneurs, investors, students, retirees, and professionals—anyone looking to improve their financial livelihood. You will help ensure we publish the most informative, accurate, and transparent information about financial products.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of personal finance and investing products, and a strong background in editing copy to create consumer-friendly, actionable articles.
About Your Contributions
- Work with Editorial Director and other Editors to edit copy for personal finance and small business education articles, product reviews, comparisons, and “best of” lists.
- Work with editors and SEO team to assess content trends and gaps in our corpus to determine new assignments.
- Fact check all stories and edit for flow, logic, and grammar.
- Make sure language is informative but doesn’t talk down to readers.
- Assist in evaluating and improving our corpus of 27,000 existing documents.
- Communicate with and help coach remote writers, both freelance and staff.
- Identify opportunities to enhance written content with visual assets and interactive products.
- Work with both speed and accuracy to publish an average of three stories a day.
- 2-5 years of work experience in personal finance publishing.
- Excellent project management, multi-tasking, and communication skills with a high attention to detail.
- Strong grasp of grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience editing and working with freelancers to create informative, engaging content at scale.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong desire to help make people smarter in their financial lives.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a email@example.com account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.