Sr Advisor, Continuous Improvement
Domtar is seeking a Continuous Improvement expert to lead the CI initiatives at the Plymouth, NC mill. The Sr. Advisor, Continuous Improvement is responsible for ensuring the long-term growth and sustainability of continuous improvement by equipping the mill with processes, systems and behaviors to enable mill employees to adapt to the changing business conditions. This role facilitates and leads team efforts to identify key improvement opportunities and develops and implements processes, systems and behaviors to sustain and grow continuous improvement processes.
The Sr. Advisor, Continuous Improvement will act as a coach, consultant, advisor, organizer, and subject matter expert on Lean, Six Sigma, Change Management, and similar Quality and Continuous Improvement tools and concepts at the mill. This is a key role in driving the cultural and operational transformation efforts. It will require daily, weekly, and on-going management skills. This position implements and supports improvement actions which may include, but are not limited to: production efficiency, reliability, safety, quality, and margin expansion.
The ideal candidate will be able to balance the skills of Project Management, Continuous Improvement and Change Management simultaneously.
Key responsibilities include:
- Implement tactical and strategic initiatives throughout the mill that are aligned to support achievement of the corporate continuous improvement strategy.
- Ensure that clear targets, goals and expectations are established, tracked, monitored and communicated.
- Demonstrate, facilitate, and coach systems-thinking at the manufacturing level with tools to support.
- Provide Continuous Improvement experience, content, tool, facilitation, coaching, consultation, and implementation expertise throughout the mill.
- Experience with change management and proven success communicating change initiatives.
- Work with necessary site personnel at all levels to identify, address, and eliminate process related obstacles.
- Assist in the change of systems/processes as required in support of the Continuous Improvement strategy.
- Act as a change agent in the manufacturing process through the active support, participation and leadership of Continuous Improvement events including:
- Participating in, co-facilitating or facilitating projects and events
- Participating in system audits and conducting value stream analyses
- Coaching employees on continuous improvement, standard work development/modification/adherence, root cause problem solving analysis, RACI analysis and time studies
- Performing statistical analyses
- Providing necessary training specific to Continuous Improvement tools and methodology
- Recommend, facilitate and maintain visual performance tools
- Supporting the maturation of daily management system at the mill
- Assisting all teams as needed to ensure improvements are made and sustained
- Apply statistical and graphical tools to:
- Read, analyze, interpret and act on data
- Creating statistical and graphical output from data including Pareto charts, Gantt charts and Waterfall charts
- Provide support and insight to all levels at the mill in order to:
- Mentor and influence team members
- Energize and motivate teams
- Recognize conflict and take appropriate action within the scope of the role
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Minimum 5 Years of experience supporting/implementing Continuous Improvement / Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma principles.
- Proven ability to facilitate groups to change by influencing others and supporting teams of a wide variety of disciplines and backgrounds to achieve significant results.
- Experience supporting site-level continuous improvement projects/programs.
- Ability to use statistical and graphical tools, including the ability to read, analyze and interpret and act against data, including Pareto, Waterfall, Gantt charts.
- Strong proficiency in MS computer applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, MS Project and Visio).
- Lean Six Sigma certification(s).
- Experience within a Manufacturing Environment is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Data Historian systems (i.e. PARCView, PI, etc)
- Experience using Minitab or similar statistical analysis tools.
- Experience executing key Continuous Improvement activities including:
- Conducting a value stream analyses
- Facilitation of Kaizen activities, root cause problem solving, RACI Analysis, and time study
- Implementing daily management system
- Creating and implementing standard work
- Experience as a change leader, teaching and coaching front-line operators and other mill leaders.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.