Assistant Superintendent - Steam & Recovery - 2nd Class
Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking an Assistant Superintendent – Steam and Recovery Area (minimum 2nd Class certificate) to join our team.
As an integrated mill, Espanola operates two pulp machines for making specialty hardwood and softwood pulps, and two paper machines that produce more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
- Uses the Domtar Set of Values to organize, supervise, manage and maintain all aspects of a respective area within the Steam and Recovery Department.
- Co-ordinates and supports the area of his/her responsibility including people and equipment and ensures all safety and environmental requirements are adhered to, and productivity and cost goals are met.
- Supports the development and execution of a proactive safety program in his/her area.
- Leads proactive risk assessments, hazops, tailgate safety talks with or through his/her reports.
- Incumbent is responsible for all health and safety aspects of all persons who work in their area.
- Required to complete monthly safety audits and weekly job observations. Responsible to follow-up on all unsafe conditions reported in his/her area and answer all JHSC concerns and recommendations within required timelines.
- In conjunction with key maintenance personnel, the incumbent assists with planning, prioritizing and coordinating operations and maintenance activities and all maintenance shutdowns in their respective areas on a daily, weekly, and/or monthly basis.
- Decides on remedial action to resolve issues affecting employees or production with respect to safety, communications, environment, quality or production.
- Incumbent is required to be an effective communicator, ensuring the area workers fully understand the aspects of all maintenance requirements and reasons for process changes in the worker’s job position.
- Ensures applicable Company, Government, BLRBAC, TSSA policies and legislation are adhered to.
- Accountable for the efficient and productive operation of their respective areas in accordance with the Operating Engineers Act.
- Assist with the development of operating budgets and capital expenditure projects. Manages cost control of their respective areas in the operating budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requirement - Must hold, at minimum, a second class Operating Engineer Certificate.
- A minimum of 5-10 years of related experience in increasingly responsible jobs in steam plant/liquor cycle environment, preferably with knowledge of kraft mill operations.
- Excellent comprehension of TSSA regulations and obligations.
- Strong leadership/supervisory skills - including experience in unionized environments complimented by well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Technical - knowledgeable in departmental processes, policies and procedures.
- Innovation - implements process or design changes to improve operation of department.
- Work Complexity - high level of multi-tasking responsibility for personnel, safety, maintenance, and production issues.
- Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- The ability to prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- The ability to communicate effectively with various departments/areas and individuals (internal and external).
- Strong organizational, planning skills and time management skills.
- Analytical, critical thinking and proven problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of CMMS and SAP would be an asset.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, testing, background checks and health assessment.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.