Generalist, Human Resources
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, your role will be to provide HR expertise and assistance in support of the policies, strategies, and direction for the mill.
More specifically, this role will provide support for a wide variety of human resources activities including employee relations, recruiting, employee coaching and succession, organizational change management, EEO and affirmative action, employee onboarding and training, disability management, compensation and benefits.
- Support the Human Resources Manager in all employee relations functions, including but not limited to policy interpretation, facilitating actions to resolve employee issues, and escalating issues to appropriate management team.
- Proactively build relationships by meeting weekly with employees on the manufacturing floor.
- Support mill recruiting using companies Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS)
- Prepare and maintaining job postings and related documentation
- Participate in recruitment process and manage outside vendor relationships.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with universities, employment agencies and other recruitment resources.
- Screen, evaluate and recommend applicants for interviews; schedule panel interviews, constructing offer letters, processing drug and backgrounds, etc.
- Provide training and resources to ensure proper preparation for interviews and selection of candidates.
- Participate in development and execution of orientation programs and training procedures for new employees.
- Supports Mill Work System including maintenance of Work System documentation, participation in Design Team Meetings and providing guidance on Work System processes.
- Provide support on day-today mill training needs including utilizing the LMS to develop new training material, modify existing programs, and track/maintain certifications and licenses.
- Analyze turnover data to identify trends and elevate information to stakeholders for recommendations.
- Provide support to all employees for Benefits and Leave of Absence.
- Administer leave of absence programs and provide guidance to employees and management for all federal and state leave requirements.
- File reports and manage workers compensation claims.
- Assist in development and maintenance of employee recognition programs.
- Manage HR compliance reporting.
- Maintain and process all unemployment claims.
- Create and maintain records specifically related to employee files, safety records, training records, benefits and recruitment.
- Ability to work effectively both independently, collaboratively, and cross-functionally with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical skills and timely decision-making ability.
- Good communicator at all levels of organization to include listening, writing, and presenting.
- Self-sufficient, results-oriented with a commitment to quality, service, and customer satisfaction.
- Ability to influence and coach.
- Strong conflict resolution and performance management skills.
- Open-minded and outside of the box thinker.
- Demonstrated commitment to work within and create a safe and healthy work environment.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, Sociology or Organization Development coupled with a Minimum of 5+ year’s Human Resources experience, preferably in a manufacturing/paper mill setting.
- Possess working knowledge of current Human Resources practices & techniques, and proven ability to effectively apply them in the workplace.
- Demonstrated high level of time-sensitive work prioritization, accuracy, organizational and communication skills.
- Basic experience with an ATS system and LMS, running I-9 verifications, and ordering background & drug screens.
- Advanced proficiencies in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint); knowledge in Outlook preferred
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.