Woodyard Assistant Superintendent
The Woodyard Assistant Superintendent is responsible for directing and achieving the department objectives in the areas of health and safety, performance, environmental compliance, quality, productivity, and cost; while at the same time promoting teamwork and continuous improvement.
- Partner with Woodyard Manager to set strategic direction of the department.
- Coach and provide resources to a self-directed work team in a shift work environment.
- Ensure maximum performance of the area and implement procedures to optimize production and minimize cost while meeting quality standards.
- Promote and ensure continuous improvement of the safety culture and support the implementation of health and safety programs.
- Collaborate with the maintenance department as the Operations Maintenance Coordinator.
- Collaborate with our internal customers (Fiberline and Power & Recovery departments) for decisions on day to day operations.
- Take immediate corrective action as required and propose medium term solutions on operational issues.
- Administer budget of the area and manage supply ordering.
- Execute reliability assessments and initiate improvements projects.
- Lead shutdowns and planned work as Operations Coordinator.
- Act as the project sponsor for capital projects.
- Maintain and improve an effective housekeeping program for the area by implementing 5S and Lean principles throughout the Woodyard.
- Bachelor degree in manufacturing, engineering or a related field required.
- 3-5 years of Team Leadership/Supervisor experience in an operating/production environment.
- Experience with wood converting operations is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership experiences, including setting expectations, confronting substandard performance where necessary, coaching, counseling and development of personnel.
- Advanced knowledge of continuous improvement principles and Lean techniques.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must have a general working knowledge of OSHA regulations & standards.
- Must have a general knowledge of applicable environmental regulations.
- Prior experience working with unions preferred.
- Experience with SAP, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, PARCView, and MS Projects preferred.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.