Domtar is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer for our Hawesville, KY mill. This position reports to the Engineering and Optimization Manager and is responsible for providing engineering expertise in problem solving as well as implementing changes to mill operations by developing project scopes, cost estimates, designing, engineering, constructing, purchasing, and modifying existing and/or installing new equipment or processes.
Responsibilities will include:
- New project, maintenance, and reliability engineering assignments.
- Working closely with Area Manufacturing Superintendents, Maintenance Superintendents and Process Engineers to implement mill design changes and improvements.
- Preparing and coordinating maintenance shutdowns.
- Performing engineering evaluations and designs.
- Providing engineering support to operations and maintenance personnel and management to include troubleshooting, collecting background information/historic data, replacing, and repairing equipment to ensure best service from existing systems.
- Managing capital and major expense projects from conception, design, and completion through start-up to ensure quality of design, workmanship, and functionality.
- Preparing estimates for capital or major expense budgets and for capital appropriations and major expense work orders that will be used by management in their decision-making process.
- Plan, organize and supervise the activities of contractors to ensure compliance with all company policies, governmental regulations and facility safety and housekeeping standards.
- A bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of industrial experience.
- An ability to work across organizational boundaries.
- Strong personal initiative, follow-through, and organizational skills.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven experience in managing projects.
- Experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- A collaborator with strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Pulp and Paper industry experience
- 5 years of industrial experience
- Knowledge of Steam Turbines
- High level user in SAP software
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.