Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking a Maintenance Supervisor to join our team.
As an integrated mill, Espanola operates two pulp machines for making specialty hardwood and softwood pulps, and two paper machines that produce more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
- Daily supervision of mechanical trade workers in the areas.
- Mechanical supervision of maintenance of all Mill equipment and structures in designated areas.
- Fire prevention associated with the work of trades and under his/her direction.
- Ensures that all installed environmental mechanical equipment is maintained and in effective operation.
- Ensures that health and safety considerations are paramount in areas of responsibility; showing by leadership to all Company employees the benefits of a healthy and safe workplace.
- Ensures that all actions, process, recommendations and plans are aimed at creating “leading-edge” environmental technology and practice while guaranteeing that all environmental laws and regulations in the jurisdictions of endeavor are rigidly followed.
- Manages by the principles of Domtar Philosophy.
- Performance, rule compliance and appropriate behaviors of direct reports.
- Accountable for the number and severity of injuries and accidents to personnel.
- Ensures that all Company policies and rules as well as Government regulations are followed.
- Assesses training needs and arranges training for trades in designated areas.
- Assists the Superintendent in coordinating mechanical activities with the needs of the production departments through the Production Superintendents.
- Assists in scheduling and planning of mechanical maintenance work in his/her area.
- Oversees supply agreements and negotiation of material contracts.
- Participates in planning and execution of mechanical activities during major mill shutdowns.
- Participates in “Maintenance on Call” coverage.
- Participates and sits as a member on various Mill committees.
- Plays a role in the implementation and function of key programs and initiatives; maintenance systems, SAP, crew restructure, cost reduction, etc.
- Works in conjunction with Engineering Department and Production Departments in solving problems of mechanical repairs or modifications to production equipment.
- Manages outside contractors who are engaged in mechanical maintenance for his area.
- Must be a Mechanical Engineer or have sufficient depth experience in mechanical maintenance and supervision to be a suitable equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years mechanical experience.
- Experience and knowledge of pulp and paper mill processes is a definite asset.
- Must have a good working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act to ensure the safety of workers.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities:
- Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- Well developed and demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills in a unionized environment with focus on safety, production and maintenance.
- Experience innovating and implementing operational changes and improvements.
- Ability to prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various departments and individuals (internal and external).
- Strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to multi-task.
- Analytical, critical thinking and proven problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Results focused and detail-oriented.
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of SAP would be an asset.
- Occasional travel to outside mills and customer locations may be required.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, testing, background check and health assessment.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- To apply for this opportunity - please submit your resume to the Human Resources Department at: ResumesESP@domtar.com