Electrical Engineer (P.Eng)
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (P.ENG)
Domtar Corporation Espanola Plant is looking for a dynamic, consultative & results driven professional to join our team in the role of Electrical Engineer within the Engineering, Reliability and Projects Department at Domtar Espanola Plant, located in Espanola, ON.
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering, Reliability and Projects, the Electrical Engineer (PEng) is the lead engineer that takes full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating projects that are necessary for the continuous safe, efficient, and economical engineering, procurement, construction management of pulp and paper manufacturing assets.
The Electrical Engineer (PEng) works within the Engineering, Reliability & Projects department which provides engineering technical support to the manufacturing facility and shall work under a matrix engineering organization.
The successful candidate will ensure that health and safety considerations are paramount in the day-to-day execution of the job, showing by leadership to all Company employees the benefits of a healthy and safe workplace. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to lead change including driving improvements toward a safe work culture.
Located in the four-season outdoor paradise of Espanola Ontario, providing the amenities of an urban center while opening the gateway to outdoor adventure in North-eastern Ontario.
- Prepare engineering documents such as Design Documents, Design Requirements, Design Descriptions, Design Planning Packages, Technical Specifications, Tendering Documents, Analysis Reports, Standards, Procedures, Feasibility Assessments, Site Inspections, Construction Estimates, etc. Develop construction specifications and procedures. Develop detailed designs. Interpret, review, and approve survey and electrical and instrumentation (E&I) design work. Conduct feasibility studies, economic analyses, environmental impact studies or other investigations.
- Plan and design electrical and instrumentation (E&I) projects and operations such as power distribution, power generation, system protection, distributed control systems (DCS), Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), arc flash, grounding assessments, short circuit calculations, non-destructive tests, and similar. Conduct technical analyses of survey and field data for development of load flow, system protection, process automation or other information and prepare reports.
- Ensure construction plans meet guidelines and specifications of electrical codes and other regulations and ordinances. Developing engineering specifications and standards facilitating a consistent design approach. Evaluate and recommend appropriate building and construction materials.
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and prepare, review, or approve designs, calculations, and cost estimates. Work with technicians and technologies to provide accurate and reliable information on sketches and design drawings.
- Plan, coordinate and conduct electrical engineering assessments, studies, inspections, investigations, designs, and evaluations for generators, power systems transformers, controls associated with pulp and paper manufacturing plant and associated infrastructure.
- Develop plans, standards and technical procedures for inspection, maintenance and monitoring programs.
- As Owner’s Engineer, shall provide detailed design and construction oversight over EPCM Firms engaged.
- Prepare and implement project plans. Research and provide cost estimates for projects. Prepare contract documents and review and evaluate tenders for electrical & instrumentation construction projects.
- Managing budgets, resources, and deadlines; acquiring and compiling quotes, etc. Act as project or site supervisor for construction work. Conduct field services for electrical and instrumentation works.
- Monitoring and optimizing safety procedures, production processes, and regulatory compliance.
- Establish and monitor construction work schedules. Assist other members of the team to ensure that deliverables are finalized on time, on budget and with the highest level of quality.
- Liaise with regulatory agencies, professional and construction contractors.
- Preparation of drawings, Request for Proposals, proposal evaluation, award, contract negotiations & administration & co-ordination, construction monitoring, resolution of contract disputes.
- Provide input to business plans, work plans, budgets with respect to project priorities, schedules, and resource requirements.
- Respond to emergencies, equipment failure, unsatisfactory equipment performance, conduct field investigations, prepare reports, and recommend actions.
- Serve on study, project teams or task groups.
- Pre-start health and safety reviews, investigation of safety or technical incidents.
- Four (4) year university degree in Electrical Engineering or Applied Science at minimum.
- Unrestricted P. Eng. certification in good standing in the Province of Ontario is required.
- Formal Industrial Automation training and experience
- Registration/Licensure as a professional engineer (P.Eng.) by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required. Position shall approve engineering drawings and reports and shall practice as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Experience working in Heavy Industry, and/or Power Generation Facility is a plus. Experience working in an Industrial Power Systems, Thermal Plant, or Utilities organization a definite asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of industry experience required. Knowledge of electrical engineering in the areas power distribution, automation, instrumentation, non-destructive tests, and similar. Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code, NEC, IEEE, NFPA and other relevant codes and standards used in design, construction, and commissioning.
- Familiarity with design software, such as AutoCAD, short circuit calculations, load flow, arc flash, distributed control systems, programmable logic controllers, data historians, and other electrical and instrumentation engineering software.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with a high level of accuracy in calculations and design. Report preparation, and strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with people.
- Excellent time management skills to ensure project deadlines are met. Able to coordinate more than one project at a time.