Lab Supervisor/Management Systems Coordinator
Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking a Lab Supervisor - Management Systems Coordinator to join our team.
As an integrated mill, Espanola operates two pulp machines for making specialty hardwood and softwood pulps, and two paper machines that produce more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
The Lab Supervisor/Management System Coordinator works with the Technical team and operating groups to:
- Provide laboratory services to the mill to ensure timely accurate analytical test results in compliance with Domtar’s Corporate principles and guidelines and all applicable legislation.
- Provide leadership to ensure the site meets or exceeds the quality & environmental management systems requirements in order to maintain registration and/or certification.
- Position reports to the Technical Services Superintendent.
- Direct supervision of laboratory technologist(s) who are responsible for completing analytical testing throughout the facility. Ensure direct reports demonstrate effectiveness in role and provide developmental opportunities.
- Responsible to maintain the operation of the main laboratory, while ensuring housekeeping, health and safety standards, and lab practices are upheld.
- Develop, implement and maintain test methods that meet the requirements for the accuracy and repeatability. Incorporate these methods into the standard test procedures and maintain as required.
- Report on the results of analytical testing to support technical problem solving by interpreting the results in the context of the test methodology and plant operating parameters.
- Comply with the collective agreement and foster sound union/management/employee relations.
- Establish, implement, maintain and ensure compliance with quality management system (QMS) and environmental management system (EMS) in accordance with the International Standard and report on their performance as a basis for improvement.
- Act as the management representative for QMS and EMS systems.
- Provide oversight and facilitation as necessary to ensure continued forestry system certifications (FSC) including but not limited to procedural development and maintenance, credit balance administration, internal and external audits, maintenance of supplier lists and risk assessments and training.
- Oversee the effective maintenance of food safety procedures and practices to ensure systems sustainability and continued certification. Keep up date with changes to the BRC standard and ensure that systems are updated accordingly.
- Complete a full evaluation and approve changes to all systems at least annually to ensure continual improvement of policies, procedures and work instructions.
- Ensure that all elements are examined routinely by establishing an internal auditing schedule, verifying auditor’s qualifications and coordinating the execution of the audits.
- Develop, implement, and update the necessary procedures as part of the QMS and EMS systems identified to maintain registrations.
- Coordinate audits, internal and external, to ensure availability of observances personnel involved.
- University degree in Engineering , Science, or Environment
- 1 – 5 years of supervisory experience in an industrial environment preferred. Knowledge of pulp and paper industry preferred.
- Proven leadership, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- Demonstrated professionalism and integrity in dealing with others – strong sense of ethics.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various departments/individuals, regulatory agencies, and the public.
- Strong technical, analytical, process analysis and problem solving skills.
- Ability to make logical/sound decisions and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Continuously look for and implement process improvements and procedures – must be comfortable and adaptable to change.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Results focused and detail-oriented.
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of PI, IVARA and SAP would be an asset.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, testing, background check and health assessment.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- To apply for this opportunity – please submit your resume to the Human Resources Department at: ResumesESP@domtar.com.