Manager, Environmental, Health and Safety
The Manager, Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS Manager) provides leadership and direction for all safety, health, and environmental responsibilities. The EHS Manager is a key member of the plant leadership team and will report to the plant manager. The EHS Manager holds the primary responsibility of ensuring all plant operations are maintained within OSHA, EPA, and other local, state, and federal agency guidelines. This role currently has one direct report. Due to the nature of the role, some night/ weekend work is expected.
Key responsibilities and percentage of time spent on each:
- Maintains and monitors all environmental, health, and safety programs closely with the Management Team. Develops strategic plans for compliance and performance plant wide. Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, and corporate safety and environmental regulations. (30%)
- Coordinates monthly, quarterly, and annual recordkeeping for all required reports. Follows corporate and Federal/State guidelines on record retention. (5%)
- Identifies, manages, directs, and audits the systems required to limit risk factors leading to safety incidents, environmental incidents, and compliance incidents while managing the continuous improvement of the plant’s EHS program. (5%)
- Develops written annual environmental and safety plans to improve the safety culture, eliminate injuries and environmental compliance incidents, and maximize environmental stewardship and sustainability. Ensures the engagement of all employees in the safety program. (10%)
- Provides direct assistance and training to site management in all matters pertaining to EHS performance and regulatory compliance. (5%)
- Develops, implements, and conducts training programs to ensure plant understanding, acceptance, and compliance with EHS policies and procedures. (25%)
- Develops key relationships with local, state, and federal agencies to report compliance, resolve issues, and promote successes. (5%)
- Manages EHS audits and benchmarking exercises with support from the management team (5%)
- Leads and/or coordinates EHS incident investigations and communicates them effectively at the plant and throughout the Domtar incident management system. (5%)
- Ensures plant has updated Disaster Response and Recovery and Crisis Communication plans that enhance the company’s relations with staff, customers, community, media, state and federal agencies. Leads, coordinates, and participates in periodic drills. (5%)
Required Qualifications/Professional Experiences/Years of Experience/Education/Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health & Safety, engineering, industrial or business- related field required.
- At least 5 years in a health & safety management role with progressive responsibility and experience in EHS within a process-oriented, manufacturing environment.
Preferred Qualifications/Professional Experiences/Years of Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health & Safety or Environmental Science
- Applicable EHS Certification(s)
- Six Sigma Certification
- Practitioner level HPI
- 8+ years in a health & safety management role with progressive responsibility and experience in EHS within a process-oriented, manufacturing environment.
- First Aid/CPR/AED
Critical Competencies for Success (Leadership, Technical, Innovation and Work Complexity):
- Demonstrated safety and environmental leadership and results
- Extensive knowledge of Safety, Health and Environmental principles and practices and applicable State and Federal laws and regulations; ability/willingness to expand expertise in best practices
- Considerable knowledge of and practical experience in continuous improvement/ human performance improvement (HPI)
- Demonstrated competency in relating complex procedural and technical problems in regulatory law and compliance procedures to operations, maintenance, and engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong collaborative relationships to gain support and achieve results.
- Change management skills and practical experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Self-directed, self-motivated, and proactive with a strong work ethic and “hands-on” approach
- Ability to work at all levels within an organization and the ability to work in diverse groups.
- Proficient computer skills and MS Office
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.