Senior Advisor, Health & Welfare Benefits
Position: Senior Advisor, Health & Welfare Benefits
Location:Fort Mill, SC
Reports to: Senior Manager, Health & Welfare Benefits
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Health & Welfare Benefits, the incumbent will be part of our Benefits Centre of Expertise and contribute to ensure benefits programs meet employee needs in order to attract, motivate and retain key talent (mainly in United States and Canada), comply with legal requirements and are cost effective. The incumbent will act as an expert within assigned business segments regarding all benefits topics and she/he is in contact with all related contributors (employees, benefits administrators, external suppliers, Finance, Labor Relations, Human Resources Departments and government agencies) to ensure that the benefits plans are managed efficiently.
- Lead various benefits projects which involve development of new or the re-design of existing benefits programs and systems/tools such as: enrollment periods, renewals, benchmarking, plan updates, disability management, communication projects and other benefits related projects.
- Act as subject matter expert on benefit offerings and engage with internal/external stakeholders to diagnose and recommend solutions to complex benefits issues
- Coordinate benefits administration activities between our various locations, insurers, benefit plan administrators and consultants.
- Engage in open enrollment process (annually in U.S. or biennial in Canada), including proposing recommendations on the benefits plan changes, leading testing with the vendor, and developing communications for a variety of channels
- Responsible for ensuring all programs, designs and policies are legally compliant and meet with all benefits related legislation, such as ACA, HIPAA, COBRA, FMLA, ERISA, ensuring vendor compliance as well
- Responsible for management of plan documents and filing obligations. Stay current with proposed legislations, identify impact on existing programs and ensure plan compliance with regulatory changes.
- Provide support concerning the financial aspects of benefits plans and coordinate with corporate finance and executive compensation teams on annual budgets, actuarial valuations and projections, IBNR, PRB and PEB benefits rates, financial reporting, proxy disclosures and tally sheets.
- Administer other benefits related programs such as the employee and family assistance program (EFAP/EAP).
- Provide support to the business for union negotiations as it relates to providing costings
- Provide training to DESC staff in regards to benefits and leave management.
- Keep abreast of good governance of benefits practices in our different locations, of key benefits trends, issues and opportunities, outlines strategic alternatives and recommends actions which meet all compliance requirements.
Key Skill Sets:
- Excellent knowledge of U.S. Laws and Regulations
- Have strong project management skills and analytical capabilities
- Be multi-task oriented in a fast paced environment with excellent planning and organizational skills, sound judgment and attentive to details
- Have strong advisory skills in order to resolve problems and be client centric
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate teamwork skills and ability to collaborate with internal partners
- Demonstrate initiative and good judgment
- Certificate in Business Administration, HR or Actuary
- 6-10 years of relevant work experience in benefits in a multi provincial and/or state environment (advisory role, analysis, project management) within a consultancy, a corporate office or a multinational company.
- Proficient knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced proficiency in Excel.
Preferred Professional Experience/Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or Actuary
- PHR, SHRM-CP, CEBS, ASA, or FSA designation and/or experience with global benefits are assets.
- Knowledge of Canadian Laws and Regulations
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.