Ashdown Engineering Co-op
Domtar is seeking college sophomores, juniors and seniors with a focus in Electrical, Mechanical, Paper Science, Mechanical Reliability, Safety, IT and Chemical Engineering interested in growth development and sophisticated project assignments to join our co-op program in 2019!
In our Engineering co-op Programs, students will be part of a team that shapes the future of innovation in the Pulp and Paper industry. Our engineering interns help turn dreams into reality, bring world-class innovation to market and help design our next generation of amazing products that people touch every day! You’ll become fully integrated into one of our U.S. mills, engaged in site tours, work directly with executives and management and have assigned mentors to maximize the learning experience.
Our platform provides opportunity for hard working individuals to propel themselves into an Associate Engineering role upon graduation. Career advancement at Domtar exists in operations, maintenance, quality assurance, product development, wastewater treatment, environmental and safety operations.
We offer fall & Spring co-op program from Janaury to May or September to December, requiring 40 hours per week at our Ashdown Mill. Relocation/mileage reimbursement, housing/stipends, and mentor programs are offered.
Join us, and build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Focus on improving the quality control of paper machines by proactively identifying potential problems, and quickly and efficiently troubleshooting issues.
- Analyze production costs, productivity issues, and provide quality control improvement solutions.
- Technical exposure to various production and support units within the electrical and mechanical teams supporting piping and instrumentation based projects.
- Research and develop processes and guidelines for various functional operational units within the facility.
- Detailed documentation of findings in various systems.
- Decipher data, apply findings into project recommendations, and revise project plans/drawings/materials.
- Must be enrolled as a sophomore, junior or senior in an accredited degree program. Desired majors include Paper Science, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Safety, IT, Mechanical Reliability and Process Engineers.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Technical writing, presentation and critical thinking skills to quickly grasp the concepts and components of the pulp and paper industry and process application.
- CAD experience preferred but not required.
- Interest in the pulp and paper industry and building a developmental career with unlimited learning opportunities.
- Ability to comply with and enforce company, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Team player attitude, with the ability to work with diverse teams, multiple organizational levels and across business functions.
- Well-developed problem solving and analytical skills.
- High level of initiative and motivation.
- Resourceful, quick learner and dependable.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Resourceful, quick learner and dependable with demonstrated leadership skills.
The candidate must also successfully complete a criminal background investigation, reference and education verification, and pre-employment drug and alcohol screenings.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.