Ariva, a wholly owned and operated Domtar business, offers a spectrum of best-in-class solutions to help businesses communicate, collaborate and compete more effectively. Ariva builds on the rich heritage of the Domtar Distribution Group, Canada’s premier source for high quality paper, packaging and graphic supplies. But we’re much more than a paper distribution company.
Domtar is the largest integrated manufacturer and marketer of uncoated freesheet paper in North America and the second largest in the world based on production capacity. We believe sustainable operations are a crucial piece of our business strategy and another means of bettering our customer service and product offering. We play a major role in the communities in which our operations are located and are committed to being environmentally responsible. Ariva offers competitive compensation and benefits combined with several health and wellness programs.
Based out of our Ariva Mississauga location, we have a full-time career opportunity available within the Operations Department.
The Distribution Manager will be responsible for managing the Warehouse, delivery operations and maintenance of the organization’s largest Canadian distribution facility of approximately 120,000 square feet. The facility is a two-shift operation, 5 days a week, utilizing a fleet of 13 trucks for in-town and carriers for out-of-town delivery. Accountable for a $6M operating budget, this individual will be expected to provide key leadership in the course of implementing key improvements on behalf of the organization. In addition, the individual will also oversee third party locations.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Operate distribution activities at the Mississauga location with budgeted guidelines while providing optimal service to customers through solid collaboration and coordination with the Customer Service, Sales and Marketing, and Purchasing departments.
- Manage the Mississauga location within the guidelines of the collective agreement and maintain clear and open communication lines with the union management group. The individual will be a member of the collective agreement bargaining team.
- Lead the Health and Safety program aimed at providing a healthy and safety-conscious environment while ensuring compliance with all government regulations.
- Establish the annual operating budget in conjunction with senior management. Make key recommendations with respect to capital expenditures, including sourcing, recommending and the acquisition of fleet and warehouse equipment as well as overseeing major repairs.
- Develop new methods and procedures to improve processes and reduce costs.
- Participate in management meetings and complete all necessary reports.
- Negotiate with suppliers to manage regular equipment and facilities maintenance costs.
- Reassign responsibilities between members of the supervisory and clerical staff.
- In consultation with Human Resources, oversee hiring of supervisory, clerical and union staff.
- A minimum of 7+ years of professional distribution experience.
- A College Diploma or equivalent experience is required; University degree would be an asset.
- Proven management and leadership skills as well as a willingness to take a hands-on role in ensuring that the operation is running smoothly.
- Experience managing within a unionized environment.
- A strong understanding of Warehouse Management Systems as well as familiarity using MS applications such as Outlook and Excel. Knowledge of SAP would be an asset.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to influence and impact others at various levels within the organization to achieve results.
- Knowledge and experience in the area of change management processes and techniques, coupled with experience in implementing and developing continuous improvement programs.
- Able to motivate others; demonstrate sound judgment, be adaptable and flexible.
- A strong leader, someone with an “iron fist in a velvet glove”.
- Ability to identify areas of opportunity for improvement, invoke the necessary changes and continuously seek out further opportunities for improvement vs. maintaining the status quo.
- Able to invest the necessary time to implement / monitor change once implemented.
- Able to work under pressure while remaining professional, perseverant and positive.
- Rational and fair-minded while still focused on results.
- Must possess and demonstrate attributes in compliance with Domtar Inc. Core Values: caring, agility and innovation.
We appreciate the opportunity to review all resumes; however, due to volume, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer.