Environmental, Health and Safety Manager
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager is a member of the Plymouth Mill Leadership Team and plays a critical role in managing Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs that provide a safe, healthy and continually improving work environment as well as ensuring minimal impact on the overall environment to advance long-term sustainable operations. The EHS Manager is responsible for leading and supporting the development of a mill-wide EHS strategy and culture through technical support, program development, and relationship building. The incumbent will ensure compliance with all regulatory and corporate requirements as they relate to occupational health, safety, loss prevention, and the environment. As a member of the mill’s leadership team reporting to the mill General Manager, the EHS Manager is expected to collaborate with his/her peers to ensure the facility succeeds in achieving continuous improvement in all performance KPI’s. The incumbent is also expected to engage in Domtar’s EHS functional team network to contribute to and incorporate better practice sharing and implementation from across the organization.
- Identifies, manages, directs, and audits the systems required to limit risk factors leading to safety incidents, environmental incidents, and compliance issues; manages the continuous improvement of the mill’s EHS programs.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local, and corporate safety and environmental regulations and requirements, including but not limited to written programs, certifications, permits, documentation, maintenance of compliance calendar, regulatory reporting and training. This includes regularly interfacing with regulators, trade organizations and corporate resources.
- Promotes health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainability by:
- Engaging with and involving employees to develop, implement, and raise awareness of programs and improvements.
- Networking with other EHS professionals within Domtar and trade associations to gain technical expertise and knowledge of better practices.
- Driving results against goals and tracking progress.;
- Analyzing safety and environmental performance and incident data for trends.
- Investigating issues and recommending improvements.
- Manages EHS department staff and budget. Ensures EHS staff has required training and skills development, and a plan is actively maintained for talent retention and succession.
- Ensures effective site security systems are implemented and maintained.
- B.S in Environmental, Health and Safety Management, Industrial Hygiene, or related discipline
- Minimum of seven (7) years of safety and environmental leadership experience in an industrial setting.
- Demonstrated safety and environmental leadership with results.
- Thorough understanding of OSHA, EPA, DOT, and Workers’ Compensation regulations.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient strategic planning and organizational skills.
- High degree of computer literacy to include MS Office.
- Ability to write regulatory reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Experience performing risk assessments and audits.
- Experience working with federal, state and local regulators.
- Experience renewing and obtaining new environmental permits.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels within the mill.
- High degree of collaboration with mill leadership and corporate EHS staff.
- Ability to prioritize time and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to manage employees and lead teams to effect change.
- Ability to relate complex procedural and technical challenges, regulations and compliance obligations to operations, maintenance, and engineering, and work on innovative strategies to achieve targeted results.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.