Continuous Improvement Specialist
This position is responsible for leading the Continuous Improvement (CI) initiatives at the Kamloops mill. This person is responsible for ensuring the long-term growth and sustainability of CI by equipping the mill with processes, systems and behaviors to enable mill employees to adapt to the changing business conditions. This role facilitates and leads team efforts to identify key improvement opportunities and develops and implements processes, systems and behaviors to sustain and grow continuous improvement culture.
The CI leader will act as a coach, consultant, advisor, organizer, and subject matter expert on Lean, Six Sigma, Change Management, and similar Quality and CI tools and concepts at the mill. This is a key role in driving the cultural and operational transformation efforts. This position implements and supports improvement actions which include: production and cost efficiency, reliability, safety, and quality.
The ideal candidate will be able to balance the skills of Project Management, Continuous Improvement and Change Management simultaneously. Key responsibilities include:
Implement tactical strategies and change systems/processes at the mill-level to achieve the desired vision as tied to the corporate continuous improvement strategy.
- Ensure that clear targets, goals and expectations are established, tracked, monitored and communicated
- Provide CI experience, facilitation, coaching, consultation, and implementation expertise to the mill-level.
- Work with necessary site personnel to identify, address, and eliminate process related obstacles.
- Actively identify and implement manufacturing procedure improvements intended to optimize existing processes and steadily deliver measurable efficiency gains while maintaining regulatory and safety requirements
- Report findings to management and team members with recommendations to the team, including developing new and revised Standard Operating Procedures, implementing new equipment and/or developing new processes
- Be a change agent leading CI activities and promoting CI tools in all activities
- 5 to 10 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Pulp industry and/or experience supporting/implementing Continuous Improvement/Lean Manufacturing or Six Sigma principles in a manufacturing environment
- Proven ability to facilitate groups to change by influencing others and supporting teams of a wide variety of disciplines and backgrounds to achieve significant results.
- Ability to use simple statistical and graphical tools, including the ability to read, analyze and interpret and act against data, including Pareto, Waterfall, Gantt charts
- Strong capability with computer applications ( Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, MS Project, Visio PII, PARCView, and Minitab)
- Experience executing key Continuous Improvement activities including conducting root cause problem solving, Kaizen activities, and time study
- Experience as a change leader, teaching and coaching front-line operators and other mill leaders