The Pulp Mill Superintendent reports to the Operations Manager and will have leadership responsibility for the safe and environmentally compliant operation of the Bleach Kraft Mill which consists a Chip Screening process, Kamyr continuous digester, a 3-Stage Bleaching Process and Chlorine Dioxide Plant. This position will provide strategic and tactical leadership to achieve key operation objectives in safety, environmental compliance, reliability, production, quality, and cost. The successful candidate will focus on safely improving productivity and reducing costs through process/equipment optimization and operator knowledge/skill improvement.
- Driving a culture of safety and environmental excellence through critical hazard identification, risk reduction, and risk mitigation
- Manages and provides direction for the activities of Pulp Mill employees to meet production goals while balancing quality, productivity, performance, cost, safety, environmental, and morale to achieve positive results in all areas.
- Influences and develops employees’ performance while growing employee competence through training.
- Demonstrates leadership and leads change.
- Guides and develops supervisors who are responsible for day to day people management.
- Leading teams in the identification, development, evaluation and implementation of safety, quality and/or cost reduction initiatives and projects that add the highest value to the operation to drive continuous improvement
- Utilizes strong problem-solving skills to ensure corrective actions for employee and/or production issues are defined and established, bringing open items to closure in a timely manner.
- Communicates to all levels of the organization as needed and participates with Department Managers from other areas of the mill to coordinate activities.
- Knows, understands, and complies with all applicable environmental requirements and Process Safety Management (PSM) program requirements.
Required Qualifications/Professional Experiences/Education:
- Bachelor's degree in chemical or mechanical engineering or related fields with 5-7 yrs of experience working in Pulp Mill Operations
- 10 or more years of experience in Supervisory Pulp Mill Operations role with a minimum of a high school education.
- Values teamwork and strong leadership, communication (written and verbal).
- Expert in Reliability and Continuous Improvement principles and techniques.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong in building positive relationships with individuals at all levels.
- Strong coach, mentor and leads by example.
- Capable of rapid assimilation and adaptation in an ever-changing environment.
- Advocate and role model Domtar's values and the principles of continuous improvement.
- Able to respond to the needs of a 24/7 operation.
- Working knowledge of SAP, Minitab, Kronos, Microsoft Office Products.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.