Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking an Operations Manager to join our team.
As an integrated mill, Espanola operates two pulp machines for making specialty hardwood and softwood pulps, and two paper machines that produce more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
Reporting to the mill manager, this role will focus on improving and optimizing current processes across our mill, establish strategic direction and execute operational excellence for operations.
- The Operations Leader will be responsible for the performance of the Product System (people, process and equipment), the cost competitiveness of their products and asset performance.
- Lead the Pulp Mill, Paper Mill, Steam & Recovery Department and shipping teams to develop and deliver key business metrics focusing on cost management and productivity goals that enable the site to meet or exceed expectations.
- Lead the departments in a way that fosters a culture committed to safety, quality, and a fully engaged workforce in a manner consistent with Domtar Values.
- Build organizational capabilities (structure, leadership competencies and organizational talent mix) and reinforce a culture of driving industry leading performance.
- Support and demonstrate the values of continuous improvement, learning and shared accomplishment.
- Drive short-term and long-term strategy development and implementation across operations to achieve department goals and objectives ensuring alignment with broader mill, division and corporate strategic plans.
- Provide insights on available capacity, manufacturing capability, and demand; identify opportunities to improve efficiencies, develop and implement plans ensuring alignment with broader mills, division and corporate strategic plans.
- Develop manufacturing models and corresponding inventory strategies that deliver against operational cost targets.
- Proactively drive cost optimization projects that deliver higher efficiency on an ongoing basis.
- Champion organizational development and talent programs that anticipate and address shifts in talent pools.
- Ability to foster a strong safety culture.
- Strong understanding of critical financial key levers in production, manufacturing, logistics operations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a matrixed and highly collaborative environment to influence and drive process and change management.
- Ability to manage at multiple levels and with cross functional teams across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the organizational impact in decision making.
- Inspires trust through influencing, passion, and active engagement with teams.
- Drives engagement within the team and for the purpose of the organization.
- Catalyzes change – acts to improve culture, process and products.
- Able to think strategically; act tactically; hands on.
- Quick learner who is optimistic and curious with a strong motivation for continuous improvement through collaboration.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Business Administration Operations Management or related field preferred; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 15+ years of continuous manufacturing process leadership with increasing experience in pulp and paper production; with a minimum of 5 years of budgetary responsibilities demonstrating strong business acumen.
- Demonstrated experiences in identifying and leading process improvement initiatives functionally and organizationally applying Six Sigma, Lean, Kaizen and change management methodologies.
- 15 years of experience in the Pulp and Paper industry.
- Experience within the Pulp and Paper converting operations.
- Previous leadership, project management, or system coordination experience.
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal); leading and presenting materials for various audiences.
- Current knowledge and proficiency with MS Office suite.
- High speed manufacturing environment, sustained exposure to high frequency noises, multiple hours standing, walking on concrete surfaces.
- Personal Protective Equipment required in mill environment.
- Dirt, noise, odour, & temperature extremes.
- Climbing stairs, ladders and scaffolding.
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals used in manufacturing process.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, testing, background check, health assessment and drug and alcohol testing.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.