Production Manager Dryden Pulp Mill
The Production Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the pulp production system. This role will focus on safety, quality, production, environmental sustainability, optimization, and cost reduction. The Production Manager provides leadership to the pulp mill on optimizing the operation to support the continued long-term viability of the facility. The Production Manager will also ensure that the operation meets all regulatory and environmental standards.
This person will be responsible for promoting a proactive safety culture, performance management and continuous improvement in all aspects of the business. This position is also responsible for the development of annual budgets and long-term plans for strategic capital projects.
Develop and manage production schedules to meet internal volume, cost and quality goals.
Analyze production metrics and make recommendations for improvements and solutions to issues that are identified.
Provide leadership focused on performance in the areas of proactive safety behaviour, environmental compliance, quality, customer satisfaction, organizational effectiveness, cost management and asset utilization in the pulping operations area; ensuring alignment of these metrics based on KPIs.
Manage Area Leaders to drive continuous improvement strategies that result in consistent product quality, cost reduction and enhanced production.
Provide leadership development for teams and individuals that supports the implementation and alignment to ensure delivery on our key performance indicators while exemplifying Domtar’s behaviours.
Facilitate the development of an asset utilization and capital improvement strategy for the pulp mill by driving annual improvements to the pulp mill operations, productivity, and net profit.
Assume responsibility for daily pulp mill production while building and maintaining effective working relationships with other departments.
Investigate, recommend, and implement new equipment or process changes and/or modifications that will improve operations, productivity, and reduce costs.
Promote the use of reliability concepts such as root cause failure analysis, operator basic care, and critical thinking skills to effectively troubleshoot and solve complex operating issues while focusing on reduction of down time, quality and cost.
Regularly communicate, articulate, and direct departmental priorities to achieve mill and company visions.
Key Skill Sets:
Possess excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Experience and ability to successfully work in a team-based environment by actively promoting collaboration & teamwork to resolve conflicts.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to deliver results through effectively influencing and motivating others to excel.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills who leads by example.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects concurrently in a dynamic industrial environment.
- Bachelors degree in an engineering or technical discipline or alternative suitable discipline.
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 8- 10 years of experience in the paper industry, preferably in a pulp operations role.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a significant leadership role with direct reports, within a labor organization.
- Proven track record that demonstrates knowledge of continuous improvement principles and techniques.
- Strong business acumen with experience developing capital budgets and strategic plans.
- Proven track record that demonstrates effective management in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, teamwork, and problem solving abilities.
- Demonstrated success developing others for future leadership roles as part of organizational succession planning.
- History of effectively dealing with personnel issues and managing up while coaching and influencing.
- Basic computers skills (use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)