Sr. Capital Project Manager - Central Engineering Group
The Sr. Capital Project Manager will be a key team member in the projects community, and as such he/she will help Domtar deliver optimal business results on capital projects. This person will work to establish project requirements and lead execution of projects, ensuring that project goals are delivered consistent with Business Requirements, and in areas of technology, specifications, cost, and management of change, schedule and safety.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The Sr. Project Manager is responsible for assisting the Business in the accomplishment of their objectives by leading and managing the day to day execution of major capital projects. He/she has overall accountability for setting and meeting safety, technical/engineering, quality, cost and schedule goals for the engineering, procurement and construction of the facilities.
The Sr. Project Manager is responsible for assisting in scope definition and in leading the development of the Project Execution Plans, participating and leading in utilizing FEL stage gate process principles to ensure all strategizing, capital planning, engineering, procurement, and construction is done in the most safe and cost effective manner, in optimum cycle time, and assuring that capital projects comply with all Government and Company standards, policies, and regulations. The Project Manager directs the efforts of the contractor(s) supporting the project and is responsible for the communication between the contractor and Domtar personnel. Additionally, the role is responsible for:
- Establishing detailed project plans and metrics, work plans, schedules, resource plans and status reports. Identify project risks/gaps and create risk mitigation plans.
- Providing project leadership, technical/engineering advice, work direction, and feedback. Influence the work of others outside of direct authority to ensure project milestones and deliverables are met, and issues and risks are communicated.
- Being a senior engineering and technical resource. Interact with/lead engineers working on Domtar projects and providing engineering and technical expertise as an individual contributor.
- Communication and reporting status to executives, global business partners and all other key stakeholders e.g., Status Reports, Executive Briefings, etc.
- Provide Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) on selected business processes to assemble or provide input into the business case, including process improvement recommendations on quality, delivery, and cost.
- Negotiating supply and service contracts with 3rd parties.
The Sr. Project Manager reports to the Director of the Central Engineering Group, and is a leader of the project teams as assigned.
Skills, Education and Knowledge Required:
- Education: BS or higher in an engineering discipline is required.
- 15+ years’ experience in various technical and business roles, with at least 10 years as a project manager with an operating company or engineering firm (preferably in Pulp and Paper/chemical processing plant environment) managing multi-functional teams.
- Strong leadership and technical skills.
- A history of managing projects of increasing size, with specific experience managing technically complex projects (capital projects) greater than $25 million.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven negotiating/commercial skills.
- Sincere commitment to safety.
- Creativity in solving problems.
- Strong team player.
- Position requires working in a contractor’s office and at the construction sites (Domtar manufacturing facilities). This position will be permanently based in Domtar’s Fort Mill, SC office.
- Travel requirements could be extensive and will vary with project assignments (up to 100% travel may be required for the duration of assigned projects).
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.