Shift Engineer - 2nd Class
Shift Engineer - 2nd Class (Steam & Recovery)
Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking a 2nd Class Shift Engineer (Steam & Recovery) to join our team.
As an integrated mill, Espanola operates two pulp machines for making specialty hardwood and softwood pulps, and two paper machines that produce more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
The Shift Engineer monitors/supervises their shift crew. This role is responsible to develop and continually improve the function of the Internal Responsibility System (I.R.S.) within their crew relating to all aspects of; health and safety, environment, quality, uptime value, continuous improvement, procedures and policies and best operating practices.
- Responsible for all health and safety aspects of their crew, including training, meetings, compliance, audits, observations and records.
- Direct supervisor of the operating personnel within the steam plant, liquor cycle (recovery and recaust), and Wood yard.
- Ensure that employees under their supervision have the required abilities, means and resources to carry out their tasks safely and in conformity with the Operating Engineer’s Act.
- Direct supervisor of the shift trades people when they are completing work in their area of responsibility.
- Accepts responsibility for the, performance and behaviour of the crew including meeting targets, setting expectations, coaching, mentoring, training, communicating and direction as required.
- Ensure the involvement of all team members in the development and continuous improvement of work practices, procedures, equipment, knowledge and know-how, etc. in order to optimize the team’s efficiency.
- Ensure a high level of communication with other departments and other department supervisors in an effort to make the best decisions for the mill and for Domtar as a whole.
- Report any problems or serious needs that should be addressed to pass on to relieving Shift personnel - must be an effective communicator.
- First line of defense in case of a Major Mill Emergency. Assume role of Incident Commander or support role for other staff supervisors (Pulp Mill or Paper) in the event of an emergency.
- Position reports to the Assistant Superintendent - Steam and Recovery.
- MUST hold a valid/current 2nd Class Operating Engineer Certificate.
- 3 - 5 years of experience in a supervisory role.
- Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- Well developed and demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills in a unionized environment with focus on safety, environment and quality and maintenance practices.
- Thorough knowledge of the Operating Engineers Act.
- Knowledge of recovery cycle processes, equipment and procedures, wood yard operation, including stacking and reclaiming functionality.
- Ability to prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to multi-task.
- Analytical, critical thinking and proven problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Results focused and detail-oriented.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, testing, background checks and health assessment.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- To apply for this opportunity – please submit your resume to the Human Resources Department at: ResumesESP@domtar.com.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.