Manager, Human Resources I
Domtar’s Plymouth Pulp Mill is located in North Carolina’s Inner Banks off the Roanoke River and produces softwood fluff pulp. The mill is known for its excellent absorbency and sheet properties and is used in the production of adult incontinence products, baby diapers, and absorbent hygiene products. The Plymouth Mill is the one of the largest employers in Washington County, NC supporting more than 300 local jobs and contributes to charitable organizations within the local community.
The HR Manager for Domtar’s Plymouth Pulp Mill is a member of the Mill Leadership team, reporting directly to the Divisional HR Director with a dotted line to the Mill General Manager. As an HR Business Partner to the General Manager this position will collaborate to deliver Domtar’s strategic and operational objectives, aligned with human capital plans. This role will require the ability to think strategically to drive change within the business. This is both a strategic and hands-on role that provides full cycle Human Resource support to our leaders, employees, and union partners.
This position provides leadership and direction for all HR functions to achieve mill strategic goals through human capital.
The HR Manager is a proactive business partner to the leadership team, and will act as a change agent for the culture evolution and process improvement. The HR Manager forms partnerships with management and union leadership to create strong relationships to facilitate the attainment of the organization’s business objectives.
The HR Manager is expected to maintain an effective level of business literacy regarding the business unit’s financial position and business plans.
- Collaborate with leadership team to ensure human capital objectives are aligned and tied to the overall strategic and operational business objectives to deliver financial results.
- Provide leadership through understanding of key financial, operational business metrics and monitoring shifting trends to remain competitive within the industry.
- Ensure leadership culture and coaching to drive a performance culture, aligned with Domtar values and behaviors throughout the business.
- Act as a change management leader with strong emphasis on operations and productivity improvements.
Employee Relations/Labor Leadership:
- Lead all labor relations functions, including but not limited to: negotiations, grievance resolution, arbitrations, and the administration of collective bargaining agreements in partnership with divisional corporate leaders.
- Develop and maintain a positive partnership with union leadership to ensure sustainable business operations and results.
- Skilled in investigating and resolving complex employee relations issues and coaching managers through performance management and employee concerns.
- Lead and drive the succession planning of mill talent process building a talent culture
- Partner and coach key leaders to deliver reviews and performance plans.
- Conduct recruitment efforts locally to find key talent and build bench strength, including partnering with local universities to strengthen Domtar’s brand and recruitment efforts
- Ability to motivate and engage a team of HR direct reports aligned with the divisional HR strategy
- Administer compensation program; monitor performance evaluation program and revise as necessary
- Develop and maintain affirmative action program;
- Maintain compliance with provincial regulations concerning employment
- Manage local records and reporting in the Human Resource Information and Workforce Management Systems
- Strong understanding of financial business metrics with the ability to develop HR metrics to drive decisions.
- Strong analytical skills and timely decision making ability.
- Good communicator at all levels of organization to include listening, writing and presenting.
- Change agent with the ability to collaborate well with others.
- Ability to influence and lead.
- Strong conflict resolution and performance management skills.
- Proven success in leading Human Resource strategies; initiatives and projects from inception to implementation in a leadership capacity
- Demonstrated high level of time-sensitive work prioritization, accuracy, organizational and communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Business Administration or related field preferred
- 7-10 years of experience in manufacturing environments supporting both union and non-union, preferably in a manufacturing setting.
- Demonstrated strong change management skills.
- Experience coaching managers and employees for effective skill building.
- Strong Conflict resolution, relationship building and performance management skills
- Advanced proficiencies in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint); knowledge in Outlook preferred.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.