Quality Assurance Lead
Domtar is a leading provider of a wide variety of fiber-based products including communication,
specialty and packaging papers, market pulp and absorbent hygiene products. Domtar is driven by a commitment to turn sustainable wood fiber into useful products that people rely on every day.
Domtar is seeking a Quality Assurance Lead to join the Final Products Department at the Marlboro Mill in Bennettsville, SC where approximately 750 tons of fine white paper and 350 tons of market pulp are produced daily.
The Quality Assurance Lead reports to the Final Products Quality Excellence Manager and focuses on the internal quality of the paper machine and pulp machine operation areas. This role utilizes data analysis to identify quality improvement opportunities; facilitates and leads team efforts to identify key improvement opportunities; and develops / implements processes, systems, and behaviors to sustain and grow continuous improvement culture.
- Grade Development
- Assist in developing new quality specifications - review and approve specifications for new grades. Develop additional specifications/guidelines. Ensure current specifications are "customer based." Assist in coordinating Quality Improvement and Grade Development Trials - work with Engineers and Operations on trial plans.
- Work with management and Operational work teams to utilize the human performance improvement (HPI) process, identifying root-cause off-quality events and driving permanent solutions
- Organize and track solutions in MillCat system (mill-wide database)
- Organizational Effectiveness
- Develop quality standards
- Lead teams to ensure product performance
- Continuous Improvement
- Serve as Mill resource for continuous improvement projects and tools
- Utilize lean tools (6 Sigma, DMAIC, FMEA, etc.) to assist with leading team efforts to identify continuous improvement projects
- Be a safety advocate, lead by example
- Suppliers / External Technical Resources
- Interface with external technical resources and suppliers to initiate quality enhancement, cost reduction, and process improvement trials
Required Qualifications / Experience
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Paper Science, or related field from an accredited university
Preferred Qualifications / Experience
- Minimum five (5) years manufacturing experience, preferably in the paper industry
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience demonstrating process troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving abilities
- A proven high-level of troubleshooting skills - analytical, critical thinking and problem solving
- Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices
- Experience identifying process changes and improvements
- Ability to use statistical and graphical tools, including the ability to read, analyze and interpret and act against data, including Pareto, Waterfall, Gantt charts, etc.
- Ability to prioritize and make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various departments and individuals (internal and external)
- Strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Results focused and detail-oriented
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of PARCview, IVARA and SAP would be an asset
Critical Competencies for Success
- Ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels within the Mill as well as suppliers / external technical resources
- Ability to prioritize time and multi-task
- Good working knowledge of mill operations
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to use HPI tools and MillCat
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing and related tools
Domtar is a leading provider of a wide variety of fiber-based products including communication, specialty and packaging papers, market pulp and airlaid nonwovens. With approximately 5,800 employees serving more than 50 countries around the world, Domtar is driven by a commitment to turn sustainable wood fiber into useful products that people rely on every day.
Through our values of agility, caring and innovation, we constantly find better ways to serve our customers, support our employees and strengthen our communities.
Domtar’s principal executive office is in Fort Mill, South Carolina and Domtar is part of the Paper Excellence group of companies. To learn more, visit www.domtar.com.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.