Sr IT Project Manager
Position title: Senior IT Project Manager
Location: Fort Mil, SC (Hybrid working weekly in Fort Mill, SC Corporate office. This is not a remote position)
Reports to: Director, IT Program Management
As a Senior IT Project Manager you are accountable for the successful planning and execution of medium- to large-size projects and programs. You will work in close collaboration with various business partners, suppliers, consultants, project managers, project teams and IT functions. You will manage cross-project dependencies, resources, risks, and stakeholder communication. You are responsible for managing all aspects of project delivery including schedule, scope, budget, procurement, quality, resources, and status reporting. You will actively manage and document risks, issues, decisions, and change requests. You will ensure projects meet IT security requirements and audit controls. You will work cooperatively with IT project managers to ensure IT Project Management responsibilities and standards are met. You will lead by example and in a way that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and trust. This position currently reports to the Director of IT Program Management.
- Support teams - Introduce new projects to project teams. Facilitate project team introductions. Intentionally create team engagement opportunities. Provide teams project management processes, tools, and support that help teams bring their best performance to the project.
- Empower teams - Communicate clear project objectives and strategies. Positively influence others. Lead by example. Organize work around team strengths. Regularly communicate and clarify team member roles, responsibilities, and deliverables. Initiate organization change management techniques to help stakeholders accept and implement change.
- Measure performance - Measure project team performance against key performance indicators. Communicate team performance results. Address missed targets to bring KPIs back to plan. Recognize team accomplishments.
- Manage supplier relationships - Engage and support relationships that bring Domtar short and long-term value. Monitor quality of supplier deliverables. Ensure statement of work milestones and deliverables are achieved. Address any quality shortfalls. Ensure contract terms and conditions are met.
- Resolve conflict - Anticipate potential areas of conflict. Identify root causes for conflict. Identify potential conflict resolutions. Actively listen to involved parties. Propose conflict resolutions. Encourage positive interactions. Escalate conflict incidents as needed. Monitor conflicts until fully resolved.
- Support portfolio planning - Provide inputs for project prioritization and portfolio reviews.
- Plan programs - Support annual project delivery strategies and objectives. Lead assessments and requests for proposal (RFP). Work closely with project management team to produce inputs needed for Gate 3 proposals. Work with IT leadership and product owners to communicate business value and prioritize projects based on business need.
- Plan projects - Work with project team to present detailed planning inputs for Gate 3 approval including scope, requirements, resource estimates, schedule, and cost.
- Deliver projects - Ensure project teams understand business value and urgency to deliver projects on time, in scope, and on budget. Support project teams with process and tools to deliver business value according to plan. Report weekly status. Leverage iterative project management process and tools where applicable. Communicate business value to project stakeholders throughout project execution. Plan knowledge transfer and documentation activities. Assess and communicate transition readiness. Assign activities to transfer knowledge. Confirm knowledge transfer is complete. Perform project closing activities.
- Manage resources - Work with project portfolio management and product owners to accurately estimate resource demand. Validate project demand estimates based on previous experience. Monitor planned vs actual hours to improve planning estimates and avoid resource collisions that negatively impact project execution. Ensure resources are assigned to projects based on highest priority projects first. Refine and communicate updated project demand based on actual delivery needs. Update forecasted resource estimates at the end of each month.
- Manage procurement - Provide input for procurement requirements. Manage supplier relationships during planning and execution. Evaluate and approve supplier contracts to execute projects. Ensure contract terms and conditions are followed. Manage and track supplier contracts to ensure all activities are performed and deliverables are achieved according to contract terms. Work with vendor management to resolve any supplier contract disputes.
- Manage budget - Update monthly budget forecast. Validate and process invoices for payment approval. Validate monthly budget results. Prepare budget status report for steering updates and at project closing.
- Manage schedule - Add detailed activities to assign work and report progress. Ensure schedule activities are regularly updated with actual percent complete. Ensure project team adds comments describing work performed and/or attach links to supporting documentation. Update start and end dates with actual dates. Attach evidence of approval for all project deliverables. Ensure dependencies are documented and well managed. Document key meetings including steering updates with notes and presentations attached. Manage dashboards, KPIs, and reports that help teams focus on assignments and inform project stakeholders of current status. Ensure delivery milestones dates are achieved. Anticipate missed milestones and adjust activities to deliver schedule as planned.
- Manage scope - Document scope and requirements with RACI assignments. Manage scope deliverables and ensure quality results. Validate all requirements are mapped to test sets (requirements traceability). Ensure scope, requirements, and test results are documented, delivered, and approved by business owner.
- Manage risks - Monitor project dependencies and cross-project risk impacts. Promptly communicate realized risks and mitigate negative project impacts. Communicate risks and impacts to IT leadership, product owners, and steering committees. Identify new risks. Document risks with mitigation strategies. Regularly review and update risk register with current status. Invoke mitigation strategies when needed. Regularly communicate risk status to key stakeholders.
- Manage issues - Monitor issue management quality. Ensure all issues and defects are logged, assigned, resolved, and closed. Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to resolve issues and defects when they occur. Regularly communicate issue and defect status. Work with stakeholders to resolve escalated issues and defects. Communicate status and impact on project delivery. Regularly perform lessons learned to promote awareness and empower teams to continually improve.
- Manage change - Monitor project change management compliance. Document schedule, scope, and budget variances. Determine strategy to mitigate variance. Prepare and submit formal change request to modify approved schedule, scope, or budget. Obtain formal program management, sponsor, and steering approval.
- Engage stakeholders - Evaluate stakeholder communication needs. Identify multiple communication channels to share project information. Prepare project status updates. Facilitate project team and steering committee discussions. Document and publish decisions. Leverage iterative project management process and tools when applicable to deliver business value incrementally.
- Comply with project standards - Follow approved project management methodology. Document and obtain timely approval of project management deliverables. Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives. Encourage and support project management colleagues.
- Comply with IT general control requirements - Assign activities to complete IT general control deliverables. Ensure compliance requirements are tested. Ensure proper approvals are attached to test results. Document how IT general control deliverables are achieved. Initiate ITGC review and approval as part of project closing.
- Comply with internal audit requirements - Assign activities to complete internal audit deliverables. Schedule regular reviews with internal audit during execution. Ensure internal audit requirements are tested. Ensure proper approvals are attached to test results. Document how internal audit deliverables are achieved. Initiate internal audit review and approval as part of project closing.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Complete all compliance training well in advance of deadline
- Complete HR talent assessment as specified by manager before end of 2023
- Complete Individual Development Plan as agreed upon with manager before end of 2023
- Skilled in negotiating and problem-solving with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Outstanding attention to detail combined with the ability to see the big picture.
- Comfortable exercising judgment and using analytical skills in ambiguous situations.
- Clear, effective verbal and written communication skills including the ability to actively listen, problem solve, and communicate effectively with both technical and business users.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a changing environment; proactively seek out information when necessary.
- Ability to assess and manage stakeholder expectations
- Ability to set clear priorities and standards
- Ability to listen and motivate others
- Ability to juggle and effectively manage multiple priorities at the same time
- Ability to drive projects, influence, and lead change throughout organization
- Ability to anticipate, mitigate, and work through change resistance or setbacks
- Ability to understand, communicate and manage customer expectations
- Good communicator at multi-levels of the organization (written and verbal)
- Flexibility and quickness to adapt to current conditions
- Creative approach to resolving issues
- Results-oriented planning and delivery
- Ability to facilitate meetings and obtain consensus
- Ability to structure and organize information in a way that leads to clear decisions
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, engineering, business, or applicable discipline
- At least 15 years of experience working in Information Technology
- At least 10 years of experience managing IT projects, including end-to-end experience for medium-to-large projects and programs
- Success in managing multiple, large IT projects simultaneously.
- Broad understanding of IT infrastructure and ERP (SAP) technology
- Experience monitoring and managing vendor performance.
- Deep understanding of and ability to manage Project and Software Development Life Cycle(s) using both Agile and Waterfall methodologies
- Minimum of 10 years of experience managing direct reports
- Minimum of 10 years of experience managing capital and expense budgets
- Demonstrated experience with MSWord, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, SharePoint, MS Project or Smartsheet
- PMP certification or equivalent experience and training.
- Experience in the manufacturing industry a plus
- Alternative Work Arrangements; hybrid remote work and flextime and summer hours;
- A modern and spacious work environment;
- A flexible insurance plan (life, medical, dental);
- An employee assistance program;
- Competitive compensation, including annual bonus plan;
- 401k with matching company contributions;
- Employer-paid development and continuing education.
Domtar is a leading provider of a wide variety of fiber-based products including communication, specialty and packaging papers, market pulp and air laid nonwovens. Domtar’s principal executive office is in Fort Mill, South Carolina and Domtar is part of the Paper Excellence group of companies.
With approximately 6,000 employees serving more than 50 countries around the world, Domtar is driven by a commitment to turn sustainable wood fiber into useful products that people rely on every day. Through our values of agility, caring and innovation, we constantly find better ways to serve our customers, support our employees and strengthen our communities.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.