This role’s primary responsibilities include promoting safety, quality improvements, new product development, process optimization, and cost reduction while supporting a high-performance work system. Utilization of continuous improvement methodologies is essential in this role for problem solving and execution of process improvements.
· Identify opportunities to improve safety culture and performance.
· Be a safety advocate, lead by example, lead with courage
· Drive team efforts to identify root cause of issues, identify permanent corrective actions, document in mill-wide database, and provide follow-up
· Identify cost reduction and reliability improvement projects and work with teams to achieve results
· Work with management and operational work teams to utilize the human performance improvement (HPI) process, identifying root-cause of off-quality events and drive permanent solutions
· Organize and track solutions.
· Utilize lean tools (6 Sigma, DMAIC, FMEA, etc.) to assist with leading team efforts to identify continuous improvement projects
Suppliers / External Technical Resources
· Interface with external technical resources and suppliers to initiate cost reduction, quality enhancement, and process improvement trials.
Required Qualifications/Professional Experiences Years of Experience/Education/Certifications:
· B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Paper Science, or related field from an accredited university
· Minimum two (2) years experience demonstrating process troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving abilities
Preferred Qualifications/Professional Experiences/Years of Experience:
· A proven high-level of troubleshooting skills - analytical, critical thinking and problem solving
· Advanced experience, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices
· Experience identifying process changes and improvements
· Ability to prioritize, make sound decisions, and resolve issues efficiently and effectively
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various departments and individuals (internal and external)
· Strong organizational and planning skills, with the ability to multi-task
· Ability to work independently and as a team
· Results focused and detail-oriented
· Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of SAP would be an asset
Critical Competencies for Success (Leadership, Technical, Innovation and Work Complexity):
· Ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels within the mill as well as suppliers / external technical resources
· Ability to prioritize time and multi-task
· Good working knowledge of mill operations
· Excellent computer skills
· Ability to use HPI tools
· Knowledge of lean manufacturing and related tools
· Interpretation and application of a collective bargaining agreement
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.