Domtar Espanola – Environmental Coordinator
Domtar Inc., Specialty Papers Division, Espanola Operations is currently seeking a results driven individual to join our team.
Located in Espanola Ontario, Espanola is a four-season outdoor paradise providing the amenities of an urban center while opening the gateway to outdoor adventure in North-eastern Ontario.
As an integrated mill, Espanola produces pulp and more than 300 different types of paper. The Espanola mill's competitive difference is people and technology. Espanola ranks among the most innovative mills in North America. The Espanola Mill is ISO 9001 certified and BRC. Our FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) chain of custody certification, along with ISO 14001, also places us in the North American forefront.
Purpose: We are seeking an engaged individual who is looking for an opportunity to build, contribute and advance our organization.
The Environmental Coordinator is responsible and accountable to complete the assigned compliance reporting within the designated timelines to maintain site compliance. In addition, the incumbent assists the environmental team and operating groups to continually improve the efficiency and effectiveness of environmental performance through troubleshooting, problem solving, and innovation while promoting excellence in safety and environmental performance.
- Position reports to the Technical and Environmental Manager.
- Prepare and submit assigned environmental reports to the regulatory agencies as outlined in the compliance calendar.
- Prepare, review and update environmental investigation reports
- Provide feedback and input to improve systems/procedures to maintain compliance with all applicable legislation.
- Responsible for interacting effectively and proactively with the Ministry of the Environment, Environment Canada, Ministry of Natural Resources and Fisheries Canada, and members of the public as required.
- Assist with the daily monitoring of environmental performance in the mill process areas, including the effluent treatment system to ensure efficient and effective operation. Develop and implement monitoring systems as appropriate. Work with and assist operations with process optimization as it relates to environmental impacts and efficient resource utilization.
- Function as a resource to operations for the effective troubleshooting of environmental issues - root cause analysis and risk assessment/hazop methodology.
Environmental Management System
- Review ongoing sustainability and effectiveness of the mill’s ISO 14001 registered Environmental Management System through routine/regular monitoring of mill environmental performance, audits and management reviews.
- Participate in the corrective action processes for audits, incidents, risk assessments, community complaints etc. to ensure follow-up is effective, preventive and sustained.
- Promote a proactive risk-based approach to environmental management.
- Provide input in the development of environmental operating and capital budgets. Prepare cost justifications for new environmental projects/process changes.
- University degree in Environmental Science, Biology, Microbiology or Biochemistry with environmental electives, or Environmental or Chemical Engineering.
- 1 – 5 years of environmental experience in an industrial environment preferred.
Knowledge – Skills – Abilities:
- Proven leadership, knowledge and understanding of safe work practices.
- Demonstrated professionalism and integrity in dealing with others – strong sense of ethics.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various departments/individuals, regulatory agencies, and the public.
- Strong technical, analytical, process analysis and problem solving skills.
- Ability to make logical/sound decisions and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Continuously look for and implement process improvements and procedures – must be comfortable and adaptable to change.
- Ability to work independently or part of a team.
- Results focused, well organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent computer skills - working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc) and PI an asset.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Applicant must successfully complete a selection process that includes panel interviews, practical testing, criminal background investigations, employment, and reference verifications.
- Domtar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.