Assistant General Counsel
Diligent is the world’s largest GRC SaaS provider, serving nearly 1 million users from 25,000 organizations around the world. Our software enables holistic and informed conversations about governance, risk and compliance and ensures CEOs, CFOs and the board have an integrated view of audit, risk, information security, ethics and compliance from across the organization.
Our world-changing idea is to bring technology, insights and confidence to leaders so they can build more effective, equitable, and successful organizations – and create lasting, positive impact on the world. We seek to empower organizations to be better for their stakeholders and communities, for their customers and employees, for their bottom line.
Headquartered in New York, Diligent also has offices in Washington D.C., London, Galway, Budapest, Vancouver, Bengaluru, Munich, and Sydney.
Diligent is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to lead our EMEA Legal team. An incredibly exciting time to join a dynamic and agile organisation in a fast-paced, growth phase. This position will be responsible for negotiating complex commercial legal agreements, mentoring a growing commercial legal team and providing strategic partnership and legal expertise to senior stakeholders.
- Lead, manage and mentor a fast-growing and dedicated commercial legal team based in EMEA.
- Partner closely with our sales, security, finance and other business teams on commercial and data protection-related matters, emphasizing the importance of high-quality contracts and privacy adherence while delivering practical and business-minded advice.
- Manage the drafting, negotiating and maintenance of various commercial and technology-related agreements, including sales, vendors, partnerships and data processing agreements.
- Review commercial contracts and negotiate with customers, vendors and partners.
- Work with internal clients to advise on negotiation strategy and ensure the contemplated legal terms will meet business needs over the long term.
- Respond promptly to legal requests.
- Provide legal guidance and engage with external counsel on human resources matters, including contract interpretation matters, immigration/visa issues, potential disputes and policy guidance.
- Contribute to other legal and privacy projects as required by the business.
- Aid in the development and automation of processes to scale efficiencies within the organisation.
- Must be an EU or UK--qualified lawyer with exceptional academic credentials.
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in German, Spanish, French, Dutch, and/or Hungarian is a plus.
- Substantial commercial legal experience, with a preference for experience in-house at a SaaS company.
- Experience of leading a team and proven ability to develop legal strategy, define objectives, and make business-critical decisions.
- Practical experience in SaaS contracting and an advanced knowledge of commercial, contract and privacy law.
- Experience with regulations that apply to SaaS technologies.
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial agreements typical to the technology sector.
- Ability to work with sales, finance, marketing, security and IT teams collaboratively in a growing organization.
- Ability to work in a high-volume, fast-paced environment while remaining analytical and detail-oriented.
- Ability to own a process from start to finish and implement processes independently.
- Comfortable with live negotiations across from sophisticated customers, partners and vendors.
- Excellent communication skills and can summarize complex issues for stakeholders across the business.
- Strong client service orientation, with high emotional intelligence and the ability to perform well under pressure.