R & D Engineer
Digital Control Incorporated is the world’s leading supplier of underground locating and steering products for the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) industry. Digital Control (DCI) invented, and was first to market, innovative underground guidance technology allowing contractors to control the pitch angle of the drill head tooling and measure its depth below ground. Since the introduction of this revolutionary technology over 20 years ago, Digital Control has been at the forefront of trenchless technologies that enable the efficient distribution of underground utilities, fiber optic, telecom, gas, sewer and water lines. Our products are used around the world by distribution contractors and are valued for their durable design, ease of use and Digital Control’s uncompromising commitment to customer service.
DCI is seeking an innovative Research and Development Engineer responsible for conceptualizing and designing new product designs which advance the Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) industry. Join an enthusiastic, highly collaborative and cross-disciplinary engineering organization that designs all aspects of the product during its life cycle. This position is based out of DCI’s headquarters in Kent, WA.
- Conceptualize and prototype new product designs that solve real-world problems in the Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) or similar industries.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to identify key industry problems and devise practical solutions.
- Shepherd prototypes from concept to product development with a dedicated team of engineers.
- Support commercialization of new designs throughout the final product development and production stages.
- B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering with a 2nd B.S. degree in Physics or Mechanical Engineering preferred. Graduate degree a plus.
- Cross disciplinary engineering experience with specific experience in applied physics.
- Electromagnetic design experience strongly preferred along with electronics assembly.
- Experience building prototypes and testing engineering designs.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, both current and voltage op-amps.
- Experience integrating and evaluating MEMS chipsets and sensors.
- Experience with PCB layout techniques.
- MATLAB or similar analysis tools preferred.
- LabVIEW experience desired.
- Machine shop experience strongly desired.
- Ability to articulate complex physics and electrical engineering issues to a non-technical audience.
- High degree of drive and passion for designing and prototyping new products.
- Ability to work cross-functionally in a fluid, highly-collaborative environment.
Digital Control Inc. offers an extraordinary work atmosphere surrounded by beautiful plants. We have an open work environment that includes dogs working happily next to their owners and a loft-space for employees to unwind (Xbox Kinect, ping pong, some light free weights/yoga mats and foosball!).
We are committed to providing a benefit plan that is at the top of our industry. This plan puts employees first to encourage a healthy work/life balance. Our outstanding insurance benefits include: comprehensive medical and dental health insurance; short-term & long-term disability benefits; life insurance; and a generous 401(k) matching program. Other benefits include discretionary quarterly bonuses, tuition reimbursement, healthcare and dependent-care flexible spending accounts, paid time off, paid holidays, wellness programs (where we get a little competitive from time-to-time and have some fun), commuter benefits, professional development, employee assistance program, monthly employee lunches, giving back programs, holiday parties and more!
This position will work with a talented and supportive group of individuals who work hard and know how to have a lot of fun!
Learn more about Digital Control at www.digitrak.com