Sr. Embedded Software Developer
Digital Control Incorporated (DCI) is the world’s leading supplier of underground locating and steering products for the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) industry. Since the introduction of this revolutionary technology 30 years ago, Digital Control has been at the forefront of trenchless technologies that enable the efficient installation of underground utilities such as fiber optic, telecom, gas, and water lines world-wide. DCI’s products are valued for their durable design, ease of use and uncompromising commitment to customer service.
• Unparalleled health benefits (no co-pays, no deductibles, employer covers 99% of costs)
• Tuition reimbursement
• 401k matching
• 22 days PTO
• Dog-friendly work environment
• Parental leave
• 11 annual paid holidays and 1 floating holiday
• Winter break (we are closed the last week of the year)
• Free convenient parking and commuter benefits
Seeking full-time, passionate senior-level software developer to help develop next-generation embedded software that will be utilized in several key product-lines at the company. Join our enthusiastic, extremely talented team as we build software-hardware products on a modern, modular, highly customizable C++ embedded Linux codebase. As a successful developer on this project, you will be able to take pride in your work as you see your code go to market and be leveraged by real customers solving real problems.
Our navigation solutions, both software and hardware, solve real-world problems in the Horizontal Drilling Industry and are used by real customers. As such, candidate will be responsible for writing production-level code for battery powered, hand-held devices with integrated screens. DCI offers a highly collaborative work environment with a very challenging domain problem. The DCI Software Engineering organization prides itself in writing clean, quality, reusable source code; further, we also strongly believe in creative freedom for the developer, place trust in him or her, and do not micromanage.
As a senior-level software developer, we expect the candidate to have already garnered a comprehensive understanding of how to develop for embedded devices. Further, we also expect the candidate to have successfully taken products to market that was written in modern C++ code. Candidate will be developing software on embedded Linux, most heavily at the platform level such as Daemons, Drivers, BSP, configuration scripts, etc. Candidates who have experience with Microcontrollers will be looked favorably on, given that DCI has many adjacent products that use them. Similarly, DCI has a wide array of internal Diagnostic and Manufacturing Tools for our products written in C#, some Python, and candidates who have that working experience will also be looked favorably upon.
• Develop, unit test, integrate, benchmark, and document product-level embedded software primarily within Linux daemon, driver and related platform development areas
• Collaborate with Software and Firmware Engineers to define the interaction between subsystems and components.
• Partner with other Engineers, Software Lead, Project Managers, and Product Managers to define the scope, acceptance criteria, and planning of software features.
• Work within and be accountable to Agile development processes as a member of an interdisciplinary product development team.
• Plan and estimate assigned tasks with input from Software Leads, Product and Project Managers.
• 7+ years of software development experience
• Strong proficiency with modern C++ is required (e.g. C++11 standard).
• Strong background in Linux, preferably Embedded Linux, and products utilizing open-source.
• Experience developing software for embedded devices.
• Solid software development fundamentals such as unit testing, build automation, branched based development, and modern documentation practices.
• B.S. degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar field from an accredited university
• Experience with distributed software architectures and developing independent application services on Linux.
• Experience with network programming (e.g., TCP, UDP, Sockets, etc.), wireless technologies (e.g., Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.), and peripheral communications (e.g., UART, SPI, CAN, etc.)
• Low-level embedded experience such as board-support packages, patching, driver integration, or firmware development.
• Further, it is strongly desired that candidate can showcase exciting projects he or she built in either an industrial or at-home setting.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
DCI requires candidates to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or to qualify for a legally permissible exemption/reasonable accommodation.
Hybrid Work Schedule:
This position will be required to perform some work onsite at the Kent, WA location.
Work hard, play often... DCI employees are innovative and creative. Our open (forest-like) work environment creates free flowing conversations across all functions. We have gaming days; Lego challenges and ping pong matches to build on our creativity when one hits a roadblock. If that is not enough, our employees bring their four-legged companions (dogs) to work and can take them for a walk around the Green River trail.
DCI takes pride in caring a lot about our employees. We believe that employees should not be burdened with benefits expenses, so we provide lucrative health care plans unmatched in most other companies. We also like to eat at DCI and find any excuse to celebrate the most random holidays (Pi Day, Chocolate Ice Cream Day, etc.) We have monthly catered lunches, a fully stocked snack area, sporting tickets, wellness competitions, and most importantly a team of people who will tell you that DCI is the best place they've ever worked. This is evident by our long service team and low turnover.
We celebrate inclusion.
DCI is an equal opportunity employer. Employment at DCI is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. DCI does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law.
It is DCI’s policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity. The Company's EEO policy includes the full & complete support of the Company and all levels of leadership. Because it's just the right thing to do. We hope you think so, too.