Certified Surgical Tech (CST) Intern - PRN - Varies - Main Hospital
The Certified Surgical Tech Intern will assist in the surgical suite to provide safe and skilled patient care.
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent preferred
- Currently in an accredited surgical technician program or recent graduate pending CST certification
- CST certification required within 90 days of CST Program completion date
- The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of nursing, administration, and physicians
- Current BLS Certification
- Knowledge of specialized equipment used in the operating room
- Prefer technician who has already completed certification by the Association of Surgical Technologists
ESSENTAIL JOB RESPONSIBILITES/FUNCTIONS TO INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices
- Assist the Operating Room Registered Nurse in preparing the room for the start of surgery. To include: opening sterile packages, selecting appropriate equipment to be used for the case and making sure that all supplies that will be required are available.
- Scrubbing for all types of surgeries and assisting the physicians by handing instruments and holding retractors, etc.
- Assist in placing the patient on the OR table.
- Order supplies and assures that supplies are available to be pulled from as needed
- Assist with the cleaning the surgical suite and related areas.
- Applies principles and techniques of asepsis to the work assignment; assists with scrubbing, preparation of the sterile field, gowning/gloving members of the surgical team and draping of patient.
- Under the direct supervision of a qualified practitioner, pass instruments, hold retractors, cut/remove sutures, apply suction, apply electro surgical hand piece to instrument and apply/remove cast.
- Responsible for assigned instrument table including instrument set up, clean up and turnover in preparation for the next case. Performs decontamination and sterilization processes per protocol.
- Provides safe handling and care for instrument and specimen in accordance with internal procedures.
- Transports patient and assists with positioning of patient under the direction of a qualified practitioner.
- Orders and stocks supplies and performs environmental cleaning duties according to standards. Cleans assigned work unit; stocks and replenishes supplies and equipment as necessary, identifies and reports problems with supplies or equipment; enters equipment repair request in system, tags equipment and removes from service.
- Provide necessary guidance and instruction to fellow co-workers
- Identifies emergencies (e.g. cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and other medical emergencies), and initiates and/or participates in the appropriate response to situation.
- Maintains an organized and safe work and patient environment, adhering to the hospital's safety, risk management and regulatory standards.
- Reports any unusual circumstances to departmental leadership.
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with the inter-disciplinary team.
- Participates in quality assurance/improvement initiatives as requested.
- Assist with surgical preps as assigned and supervised by Register Nurse (RN)
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Attend workshops as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Attend departmental meetings
LINES OF REPSONSIBILITES:
(Chain-of-command)(Certified Surgical Intern) → 2. (Registered Nurse) → 3. (Director of Operating Room)